PDA

View Full Version : Lost one of my best friends yesterday...

Don Carter
08-01-2009, 4:04 PM
I met him about fifteen years ago. He and I immediately hit it off. He was a very energetic youngster and I was much older. His name was Bruno and he was a beautiful Welsh terrier. My family and I thought we were bringing into our family a new pet. Little did we know that he was going to become a very valuable family member.

Over the years, we have had many good times but some bad times as well. No matter, Bruno was always there for me and my family. He always had a lick of the face or nibble of the ear for you.

Lately, time had caught up with Bruno and we knew by his arthritis racked body that he would not be with us much longer. With deep sadness and with a very heavy heart we took him to our friend and vet to put Bruno into a permanent sleep. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

So long old friend. Until we meet again.

Don Carter

Mike Cutler
08-01-2009, 4:38 PM
Don

My condolences to you.
It's amazing how a dog weasels their way into your life and becomes such a central part of it. Bruno obviously became a very much loved family member of your home.
Peace Bruno.

Steve Schlumpf
08-01-2009, 4:38 PM
Don - my condolences on your loss! I understand the agony involved in taking that final trip to the Vet. May your heart and your family's heal quickly.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2009, 5:14 PM
Don...my sympathies over the loss of your friend!

We had to do that a few years ago. Though it was painful, the joy of life had left our Samoyed's eyes.

They literally can become a member of the family.

Leigh Costello
08-01-2009, 5:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your best friend.

Dennis Peacock
08-01-2009, 5:52 PM
Loses like this are never easy. My prayers with you and the family.

Narayan Nayar
08-01-2009, 6:12 PM
Don, I know what you're going through. I just lost my friend of 14 years a little over a month ago. She got very sick and I didn't want to put her through another round of treatments.

Hang in there bud, and peace be with you.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-01-2009, 7:20 PM
My sympathy to you and your family--you lost a member of the family. We know it hurts; been there twice in the last year. We now have new rescue dogs that are quickly becoming our best friends.

Colin Giersberg
08-04-2009, 6:06 PM
It is always a sad moment to lose such a special friend. You have my condolences.

Someday we will all meet again at the Rainbow Bridge . . .

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing - they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

Phyllis Meyer
08-04-2009, 6:31 PM
Don,

You are in my thoughts and prayers! Mine has been gone for 2 years now. They are such special family members!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Jim O'Dell
08-04-2009, 7:21 PM
I too know what you are going through, and it's not fun, and it's not easy. We lost 2 last summer, 22 days apart. They were litter mates out of the first litter we bred. So we literally held them as they took their first and last breaths. I have a picture of them together taken the Christmas before we lost them on my desk at work. I still get choked up a little when I look at them.
Time does eventually heal the hurt and you will remember the good times. But the love you have for them and the love they had for you never fades. Jim.

Don Carter
08-04-2009, 8:59 PM
Thank you, so much.

I appreciate your sentiments and all the kind words. We are all grieving the loss of our beloved Bruno, but your words are comforting.

Colin, our vet is a friend of ours and he sent me a copy of the RainbowBridge. I cannot read it aloud with choking up.

Thanks Creekers.

Bruce Page
08-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Don, you have my deep condolences. We lost our beloved chocolate lab Zoe last November so I feel your pain.

Al Willits
08-05-2009, 8:27 AM
Funny how to some of us our dogs become part of the family, and not just a pet, we're getting close with our dog to having to make that decision also, something we dread very much.

Our condolences and hope the memories are all good, even the sad ones.

Al