PDA

View Full Version : computer to computer?

brent warner
08-01-2009, 3:06 PM
don't know what I'm missing, my desktop which is connected to the router by cable, cannot access my daughters laptop, but the laptop can access my desktop. both computers have "file sharing " on/enabled . anybody?
thanks,brent

Steve knight
08-01-2009, 3:41 PM
you both have the network workgroup name the same? you have to choose what you want to share too so you right click on it and choose sharing ang get that setup.
you have also ran setup home network on both machines?

brent warner
08-01-2009, 4:16 PM
yes to both
brent

paul cottingham
08-01-2009, 4:36 PM
try going to the run command and enter \\computername then hit enter. do this on both machines. if you cant reach the machine in question you have a permissions issue (in all likelihood.)

can you ping the computer in question? (if you don't know what i mean just ask.

Dave Johnson29
08-01-2009, 4:55 PM
Brent,

What operating systems are where?

It sounds like you need top set Permissions as well as Share. Go to one of the folders you want share on the daughter's computer. Right click and select "Share"

Click "Advanced sharing" then make sure "Share this computer" is selected. I know you have already done that,. :)

Click Permissions then select "Everyone" and make sure all the boxes in the Permissions box are checked. "Full control, "Change," "Read'

If there is a "Guest" in the top list do it for that too.

Click OK and OK again back to the Folder Properties (the first right click) then select the "Security" tab. Set "full control" Permissions for "Users" "Everyone" and "Guest."

brent warner
08-01-2009, 5:01 PM
don't know ping- :eek: it seems to connect , when the laptop connects to the desktop, I choose a file shown as "users" , it shows all my files.
when I try desktop to laptop, I think it connects, but shows no files to access, even though the "share files" boxes are checked in the network/ sharing center
brent

Dave Johnson29
08-01-2009, 5:08 PM
don't know ping

Hold down the Windows key and press "R" type in "cmd" without the quotes and press Enter

Type in "Ping " note trailing space and then the computer name you are trying to contact. The computer name is in the Share dialog following the "\\" and is usually in caps. Just use the name between the "\\" and the following "\" as in...

\\ACERPORTABLE\New Folder\

The ping command would be

ping acerportable

It will send a small package and receive a small package if it is visible on the network. Try both computers but I do not think this is the problem since you say they can see each other just not files.

brent warner
08-01-2009, 5:22 PM
thanks Dave It showed "already shared " but when I went to advanced, it wasn't shared. it works now ! I've had to learn this computer stuff on my own as I go, sometimes I have to ask for help.
thanks again, brent :)

Steve knight
08-01-2009, 5:32 PM
good you got it. also you need to login with a password on both.

Dave Johnson29
08-01-2009, 6:12 PM
thanks Dave It showed "already shared " but when I went to advanced, it wasn't shared. it works now

Happy to help Brent. One would think that "shared" meant shared. It actually means "it will share if you do all this other stuff on other pages that I have not told you about yet so keep tearing hair out." :):)

paul cottingham
08-02-2009, 2:30 AM
good, glad you got it