PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive bulletin board ideas?

Mark Bolton
08-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Hello all,
Have posted in a while, our work has been unreal (busy).

We currently have some major renovation work going for a local school and one segment of the project is a repaint on first floor. Classrooms, halls, restrooms, etc.. The original paint is cheap builders flat latex over FC wallboard. The school does a lot of taping things to the walls which, even with low release tape, has torn the paint/paper in many places once removed.

Spaces will be skimmed out, sanded, and repainted with 2 coats ICI Diamond Low Luster. They will, no doubt, continue to tape to the walls however the higher sheen and super high quality should help with the release.

That said, I am willing do donate 6-10 shop made 4x8 bulletin boards to the school in hopes to give them a better place to tack things rather than the freshly painted walls.

I was thinking oak or poplar frames with something in the field for tacks. Thinking cork would be too costly, I have not seen Homasote available locally which is what we have used for some industrial bulletin boards. Also worried about the grey/flakey factor of Homasote.

Any ideas for a low cost solution or am I wasting my time?

Thanks,
Mark

Chuck Saunders
08-01-2009, 12:51 PM
1/2" homosote is you answer. It is a sheet of compressed paperpulp. They also sell it with a burlap covering butI prefer covering with my choice of fabric. The last sheet I got was $30.

Michael Wetzel
08-01-2009, 2:23 PM
That said, I am willing do donate 6-10 shop made 4x8 bulletin boards to the school in hopes to give them a better place to tack things rather than the freshly painted walls.

You could install cork on every wall in the building and someone would still use tape. :rolleyes:

Homasote is the only cheap way to make a bulletin board (that I am aware of).

Tom Klass
08-01-2009, 3:24 PM
Homasote is about the cheapest you can go. Wrap the different boards in the school colors. Homosote goes for around $21.00 for 1/2- 4 x 8 sheet. But even with the boards some one always tape something to the walls!!

Ron Jones near Indy
08-01-2009, 5:11 PM
I too say Homosote. A friendly suggestion to the principal that the paint will last longer if they use masking tape instead of "Scotch" tape might help.

Mark Bolton
08-01-2009, 9:09 PM
Thanks all. Monday will put the feelers out for the homasote. It was available everywhere when we were in the north east however since moving to WV we are in a black hole for anything out of the norm.

Mark

Jamie Buxton
08-01-2009, 9:58 PM
A lot of commercial bulletin boards are a thin sheet of cork over something like homasote. The cork seals back together better when a pin is removed, so it ages better than a straight homasote board. I've bought sheet cork from Jelinek -- http://www.jelinek.com/rolls.htm You can bond cork with wood glue -- after all, it is cork-oak tree bark.

Art Bianconi
08-02-2009, 8:44 AM
The office I work in is one huge room. Work cubicles are built using metal framed dividers that are covered in fabric. Hidden beneath the fabric is a not-very-dense material that allows us to hang "blue-prints" and other things like calendars, photos, etc. It works well and helps dampen the sounds.

Judging from the pressure needed to push a push-pin into homasote and the ease with which I can push pins into the dividers, it's not pressed paper. I suspect it's a low density foam like the pink insulation they sell at the home centers and lumbar yards.

Art