PDA

View Full Version : Micro gloat

Chuck Wintle
08-01-2009, 7:06 AM
At some point my best hammer became misplaced(lost) so a trip to the local store solved that problem. I got an Estwing 16 ounce flat face for a reasonable price. After looking at the various models on display, Stanley and some other "house brand" models I got the Estwing because it was the best balanced of the entire lot. Not a huge gloat but only because i was able to appreciate the difference between a good hand tool and the mediocre ones.
And they are still made in the US.

Brad Townsend
08-01-2009, 3:18 PM
I took an interest in this as Estwing is based about fifteen miles from me in Rockford, IL. This afternoon, I had to go to my local Farm & Fleet which happens to carry Estwing products. I examined the labels and, sure enough, the tried and true blue-handled 16 oz. is in fact, made in Rockford. Sadly though, it was about the only Estwing product they carried that was. They had other hammers in both 16 and 20, along with various pry bars, cat's claws, etc. and everything else came from either Taiwan, Japan or China. They were very well finished and did all appear to be of high quality though.

george wilson
08-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Wasn't there a recent discussion that included Estwing going to Asian mfg.?

You guys will think I'm nuts,but I bought a Task Force hammer from Lowes that is hardened MUCH better than my old,scarred up Stanley hammers. It is nicely finish ground all over,too. I'll not vouch for the handles being the best,or even hickory,but the head is very nice.