PDA

View Full Version : Painting templates...

Mike Burroughs
08-01-2009, 2:14 AM
Had a customer ask me to make them some templates for marking water pipes. They are looking for something they can re-use. The ones they have got in the past are the ones you just hold over the pipe and use spray paint.

My question is..... If anyone out there has done this before, what material works best for this? I had someone suggest heavy duty construction paper.

Thanks,
Mike

Rodne Gold
08-01-2009, 2:58 AM
I use 1mm or thinner styrene for them

John Noell
08-01-2009, 4:37 AM
X-ray film works great for making stencils. Very flexible and cuts nicely. May not look 'professional' enough unless you get some that doesn't have someone's leg or kidney in the picture. :)

Mike Null
08-01-2009, 9:14 AM
Mylar may be the best answer.

http://www.grafixplastics.com/mylar_what.asp

Ray Uebner
08-01-2009, 4:58 PM
I made some for a winery out of birch plywood 1/8" for flat surfaces, they love them and work great for their grape bins.

Carrol Fleming
08-02-2009, 8:17 AM
X-ray film works great for making stencils. Very flexible and cuts nicely. May not look 'professional' enough unless you get some that doesn't have someone's leg or kidney in the picture. :)

Dip the x-ray in a weak bleach solution then rinse well, it gets rid of the leg or kidney. :)

John, you have just reminded me, X-ray film is also great for making boxes, had a friend who made her own gift boxes many years ago.

Carrol

Mike Burroughs
08-03-2009, 2:58 AM
Just wondering...where in the world do you get x-ray film?....LOL

Dan Hintz
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Just wondering...where in the world do you get x-ray film?....LOL
check with your local hospital... they'll throw away expired batches, bad shots, etc.