PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Here is a little cherry vase I turned out of a piece of scrap. Wasn't big enough for a bowl or a potpourri pot so a little vase it is. It is 4" high and 3 1/4" across. Finsihed with wipe on poly. The LOML snatched it up and now is proudly displaying it with some of her fake flowers cut down to fit. She told her friend it was cute.:eek: Had a friend and fellow turner in California that was making some smaller hollowing tools so he made me a set and they worked perfectly.

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Looks great Bernie! Must have been a challenge to work on a hollow form that small - even with small tools! Nice work! Glad your wife likes it!

Gary Conklin
08-01-2009, 12:31 AM
What a great little vase. Love the orientation of the growth rings.

Richard Madison
08-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Looks like a very smooth, level finish Bernie. What product and procedure do you use with the wipe on poly?

Harvey M. Taylor
08-01-2009, 8:08 AM
Hi Bernie, as a teenager would say, neato. Would your friend in Ca. consider making more mini turning tools? Want to get into that phase, but dont have a clue as to how to make the tools. Max

robert hainstock
08-01-2009, 8:26 AM
Love the shape Bernie. It will stump some folks trying to duplicate it. And your CA. friend may have a new career path. Anyhow, thanks for sharing. :D:D
Bob

Walt Caza
08-01-2009, 9:38 AM
Hi Bernie,
Sweet piece, thanks for the show and tell.
I like the cherry grain.
Being a rookie, I'm not even sure which holding techniques you would have used?
Any chance you might also give us a peek at these smaller tools?
be well,
Walt

Chris Rae
08-01-2009, 9:52 AM
Very nice vase Bernie! Great shape, wood and finish! I also think it's cute, what's wrong with "cute"!:D

Alan Tolchinsky
08-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I like that Bernie especially the opening shape you gave it. Great job!

Bill Bolen
08-01-2009, 1:02 PM
Great little piece Bernie...gotta agree with Chris...nothing wrong with cute!...Bill..

Harvey Ghesser
08-01-2009, 6:00 PM
Nice piece, Bernie! Love the finish!

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2009, 6:14 PM
Thanks to all. This was a fun little piece to do and actually found it easier than the big ones Steve. The LOML is happy with it. Cute and all.

Walt I held it with a tenon. When I reversed it I made sure enough of the bottom stuck out of the donut chuck to just continue the line down the tenon. I only took off about 1/4" of the bottom. Here are the tools I used Walt. He patterned them off the ones Packard Woodworks sells. He did a great job on them and I put handles on them.