PDA

View Full Version : Learning Spindle Work with Jimmy Clewes

Hilel Salomon
07-31-2009, 7:04 PM
As with too many turners, I'm self taught and proof that most people who teach themselves have idiots for instructors. Having turned countless bowls, I'd never really done any spindle work until today when I took a group class with Jimmy Clewes. He is a fabulous instructor, being patient, encouraging and informative. I clearly need more instruction and will try to take classes before "teaching" myself any further. It is manifestly clear to me now that untalented hacks like me have got to learn how to walk before they can run.
Regards, Hilel.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-31-2009, 7:50 PM
Dont beat yourself over the head. after all, we cant just walk down to the corner and get a talented turner to mentor us from the first of our turning efforts. Just think of the fun you had teaching yourself. Just my thoughts, Max.

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2009, 8:56 PM
Hilel - I am thrilled that you were able to take the class - what a treat that must have been! Did you take any pictures? No matter... Hope the class rekindled your passion for turning! Have fun with it!

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2009, 9:33 PM
Sounds like a fun time Hilel. Don't beat yourself up. Like Max said we just can't go to the hardware store and get training. Have fun Hilel and enjoy. Hopefully this will fuel the passion.

David Walser
08-01-2009, 3:49 AM
...I clearly need more instruction and will try to take classes before "teaching" myself any further. ...

Glad you were able to take a class with Jimmy Clewes. I've heard really good things about him as an instructor.

If you're looking for classes, I highly recommend the training offered at Craft Supplies USA. My wife and I took the 5 day "basic" course from Dale Nish about 7 years ago. It was a lot of fun and well worth the money.

Some of our club members attended class at Canon Studios (in the Dallas area) and had lots of good things to say about the experience. Others, I'm sure, can chime in with recommendations about classes they've attended.

Here are some links: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/util/workshop_schedule?Args=

http://www.canyonstudios.org/

Lance kanaby
08-01-2009, 2:19 PM
I strongly advocate that new turners join a local woodturning club and seek out a mentor. Most woodturning clubs will have members who will gladly teach you woodturning and how to do it safely. I also reccomend to you watch all of the woodturning DVD's that you can. Most clubs have a lending library that is free or at a very reasonable cost. Woodturning is not brain surgery, but you still need instruction.