PDA

View Full Version : 10"Atlas refit

Colin Wollerman
07-31-2009, 5:29 PM
I might be able to get my hands on this vintage 63 10" Atlas metal working lathe.
The carriage, lead screw/feed gear, and drive motor are pretty tired but a machinist friend said I could take the Head stock, bed and tail stock, add a VSD and tool rest and have a solid mid range wood lathe.

Anyone done this?

Any feed back and/or suggestions for or against this would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,
Colin

Dennis Ford
07-31-2009, 7:01 PM
This would work but I think the results would not be worth the trouble and expense. A new wood lathe this size would not cost much more than the modifications you are thinking of. If you can get the metal lathe and use it as a metal lathe, that might work out well.

Jeff Nicol
07-31-2009, 7:16 PM
I just bought a little metal lathe and wish it was bigger some times! Once you have a metal lathe you will wonder how you ever got along with out one!! Just get a nice wood lathe and then you won't have to do all the work trying to turn this one into a wood lathe. You will be better off in the end.

Jeff

Colin Wollerman
07-31-2009, 7:41 PM
Thanks guys, This is kinda what I was thinking too. I use it at work right now on non critical stuff. That's the thing, I have access to metal working machines at work so I don't need one at home plus I am limited on space. This would be a fun restoration project though...hmm...?
Anyway, thanks for the input.