PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Router template guides

Basil Rathbone
07-31-2009, 5:10 PM
My router came with a few template guides. I would like to use one to follow a template made from 1/4" MDF. The part of the guide that the router bit fits through is more than 1/4" long. The only way I can see to make this work, is to add some thickness to my template so the template guide clears the workpiece.

Is this the only way or am I missing something? And what is the reason for having a 51/64th template guide? I am sure Hitachi knows more about this than I do, so I could use some advice. Thanks.

Thomas S Stockton
07-31-2009, 5:13 PM
Grind down the end of the template guide. I have a couple I've done this too, I use a disc sander.
Tom

Julian Wong
07-31-2009, 5:19 PM
And what is the reason for having a 51/64th template guide?

Probably something to do with metric. 51/64th is about 20mm.

glenn bradley
07-31-2009, 5:54 PM
I am sure there is a reason for the longer guides as they vary in length between each other. I am ignorant as to what it is. I bought a set where they are all .24" and designed to be used with 1/4" template material. An oddball that I had that was long got ground down on the belt/disc sander as Thomas states.

Jamie Buxton
07-31-2009, 6:29 PM
I don't think it is metric. I have a set from Porter-Cable, back when they were undeniably American. None of them were the same length, and almost all of them were longer than I've needed. All of the ones I use have been hacksawed to be shorter.