PDA

View Full Version : Vega Saw Fence locking problem

Gary McNair
07-31-2009, 4:52 PM
Last yr I replaced the "L" shaped brass part that seems to be the heart of the cam locking mechanism. It worked maginally for a period but now doesn't lock the fence at all. A moving fence during a cut isn't my idea of fun. I'd like to make this work but it may be time to opt for a new fence system.
Any ideas on why this won't lock properly?
Thks

Alan Schwabacher
07-31-2009, 5:25 PM
Did you wax the bar? That might make it slip. I used to have a Vega fence and it locked down solidly. Isn't there a way to adjust how tightly it clamps when you lower the lever? I don't see the manual online, but I'd imagine if you contact Vega they will tell you how to adjust it properly.

scott spencer
07-31-2009, 5:29 PM
You might try scuffing up the inside edge of the clamping mechanism, as well as making sure there's no wax on the rail where it clamps.

Howard Acheson
07-31-2009, 6:32 PM
Why not give the VEGA folks a call. I have alsways found them very helpful. But, I have had good performance with my VEGA for 15 years or more.

Dell Littlefield
07-31-2009, 8:21 PM
Gary, I am having the same problem. I talked to the sales rep at the Atlanta show last year and he sold me a new brass piece also. It worked (marginally) for a while but has reverted to slipping. He told me that perhaps I was pushing down too hard on the locking handle. Now if I am working on something where I have to hold tight against the fence, I am using a clamp. Please keep us all informed on what you find out.

Gary McNair
08-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. There is no wax on the bar but I do keep it spiffy clean, maybe scuffing the brass pc and the contact face of the bar would help? As far as pushing down too hard, there isn't any noticable lever movement between completely loose and what I remember as locked. The lever goes down to the bar and stops, no additional pressure or movement can be applied. At that point the fence usually can't be moved by hand but during the cut apparently vibration loosens it.
All I have from VEGA is a brief installation manual and a parts list. I'll call them on Monday. Maybe the cam is worn, this unit was new in 1989.

Howard Acheson
08-01-2009, 1:24 PM
My Vega was new in 1988 or 1989 too. So far I have had no slipping problems. I wouldn't recommend waxing the front rail. If it had been waxed, I'd use mineral spirits and remove the wax.

jim hedgpeth
08-01-2009, 1:35 PM
Gary

Let us know if you find out whats causing it, I have the u50, but no problems, yet. Might be helpful to know where to start if it does something like that.

As far as it vibrating loose, maybe rough up the cam and the "inside" of the brass piece, where they rub together. If the handle is vibrating up that would give it some "bite" to help it resist moving.

Gary McNair
08-01-2009, 1:44 PM
So you guys that have a functional fence, my question is - When you apply pressure to lock the fence do you feel any movement in the lever indicating the cam has snugged against the bar?
I have no movement or feeling when appling pressure.

jock cameron
08-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Gary,
I also have a Vega fence and had the same problem as you. Replacing the brass fitting help a little but the fence would still occasionally slip in the middle of a cut. I think the problem may be in the design. I've never used a Biesemeyer or similar fence but I suspect that when the lever is pushed down, there is a definite feeling that it is locked. With the Vega you just get the feeling that the cam is just pushed against the tube but not locked against it. (Hard to describe this).
I've also noticed that it is easy to bump against the lever and move the fence, sometimes when you are sawing.

Gary McNair
08-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks Jock
Yep, mines like yours - no feeling in the lever that any locking has taken place. Light pressure on the side of the fence won't move it intially however during the cut it loosens and drifts - ouch!
I'll call VEGA tom. AM

Dell Littlefield
08-04-2009, 8:42 PM
Gary, any joy from you contact with Vega?

Gary McNair
08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, I have a new brass shoe and cam coming from VEGA. I removed the old cam and it does appear worn. I'm curious to check the new cam against it. Once installed, I'll post the results.

Neal Clayton
08-05-2009, 1:24 PM
i've been using a vega fence for a couple of years, and have had to replace the brass piece once.

mine actually moves a bit when it grabs, so yes i feel it lock. you sure you didn't install the brass piece upside down? that could cause it.

Gary McNair
08-06-2009, 5:11 PM
My Vega brass shoe and cam arrived today. Put both cams together on a 3/8" drill shank and found noticible wear on mine vs. new. Installed the new cam and shoe (installed the cam upside down the first time, it becomes apparent real quick!). So the fence locks securely and has recognizeable feel as it snugs up. Also several had mentioned using too much locking pressure. Noticed it doesn't take all that much now, maybe this wear was due to excessive pressure all these yrs?
Thanks to guys at Vega who helped with the diagnosis and for getting the parts to me quickly.