PDA

View Full Version : Felder Unofficial Survival Guide

Mike Heidrick
07-31-2009, 4:48 PM
WOW. I have just started to read this Felder Unofficial Survival Guide book. First off, I do not own any Felder equipment. I have some nice tooling for the Laguna shaper though and wanted to maximize my use of it. This is about the nicest info I have found on setup and using shaper tooling, power feeders, and various other shaper accessories and that is only one chapter.

This book was written by David P Best in 2004 and has info from Brian Lamb, Michael Rylander, Mark Elliott, Art Pentz, and Louis Melo. They sell it through Cafe Press. If anyone has a panel saw (really any tool with a slider), combo machine, large shaper, or you are interested in Aigner saftey add ons - these boys wrote a fantastic book. Book is $95 but short of working in a shop or knowing someone that can teach you some of this stuff - this is one of the best large tool practical guides I have seen.

The shaper info alone goes WELLL beyond the info in Bird's The Shaper Book and Cliffee's Shaper Handbook. Lots of great insert tooling info, setup, referencing, etc. Very cool info.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Good timing Mike. I've been thinking of buying that....

Mike Heidrick
08-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Steve, http://www.cafepress.com/davidbest.14337605 (mhtml:{C4294DBD-122B-4139-B31E-B18FADFF52CD}mid://00000148/!x-usc:http://www.cafepress.com/davidbest.14337605)
is the link to the edition for $95. It is better than teh $150 link google turned up :eek: At checkout use FCPMAR1 to get $5 off $50 or more at cafe press through 8/31/2009. Enjoy.

John Harden
08-01-2009, 12:55 AM
I've only had mine about three weeks and it is already dog eared.

Agreed on the sections regarding the shaper. I bought the two shaper books you mentioned and the survival guide is much better from a practical stand point.

FWIW, the Martin, Aigner site is also very good. Leaf through their online catalogue slowly, reading all the captions in English and you can see how they invented ways to make difficult shaping work much safer. I particularly like their solutions to using a power feeder to shape curved pieces.

Regards,

John