PDA

View Full Version : My First Bowl

Joe Mioux
07-31-2009, 4:48 PM
here is my first attempt at making a bowl.

Actually in is more of a shallow bowl/deep platter.

The wood is Sugar maple, finished with Tung oil. I think I am going to add some shine to it, but I don't have a buffing wheel. how can I do this?

thanks for looking
joe

Brian Effinger
07-31-2009, 4:59 PM
Congrat's Joe, that is a nice looking bowl. My first bowl ended up in two pieces after a catch.

Mauricio Ulloa
07-31-2009, 5:01 PM
Great job! Congratulations!!!!!!

Gary Herrmann
07-31-2009, 5:05 PM
Nice job on the bowl, Joe. Very, very good for a first. For shine, you could use renaissance wax to get some, go the poly route or you could come over and use my buffing wheel.

Steve Mawson
07-31-2009, 5:26 PM
Joe I think I would take up Gary's offer on the buffing wheel. I am amazed at the finish and shine you can get on a piece with a buffing wheel. Also when you hold a piece after it has been buffed it just has a feeling that gives a unique touch to the piece. Nice first piece by the way.

Chris Rae
07-31-2009, 6:01 PM
Great looking first bowl, very nice!

Curt Fuller
07-31-2009, 7:08 PM
Very nice bowl!

David Christopher
07-31-2009, 7:18 PM
Great looking bowl....be sure to put your name on the bottom and number it

Alan Trout
07-31-2009, 8:37 PM
Very nice job. Looks great!

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2009, 8:53 PM
Great looking first bowl Joe! You should be proud of this one!

When I first started turning I used Watco Danish oil for a finish. A couple of coats of that and hand rubbed wax will provide a nice satin sheen. Or, you can go to poly and rub that out with a piece of brown paper grocery bag - then apply wax and rub that out. Best bet - go over to Gary's place and use his buffer. Can't truly appreciate a buffer until you have spent hundreds of hours hand rubbing things out...

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing bowl #2! Nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-31-2009, 9:14 PM
My man Joe! What an incredible 1st bowl/ deep platter! Very well done sir!

Joe....the best finish investment you can make is a Beal buffing system or a knockoff. It will make an entire world of difference!

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2009, 9:28 PM
Joe that is a beauty. Nice form and finish. Joe I wouldn't worry about a shine unless this will be a display piece. If it is a utility piece I would just leave it.

Harvey Ghesser
07-31-2009, 9:57 PM
Nice bowl Joe!

Keep up the good work!

Joe Mioux
08-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Thank you all for the compliments. The best part about this bowl is that wood came from a Sugar Maple Branch that need to get cut down.

I have a great supply of now Spalted Maple turning wood.

Ken, I think you are correct about that Beall buffing system, but for some reason I keep seeing Yellow in my dreams and I have found an enticing price of something significantly more expensive than the buffing wheels. :o

joe