PDA

View Full Version : Study Cabinets Completed

Todd Burch
09-04-2004, 9:06 PM
Well, I finished this one a few weeks ago, but just got around to cleaning off the compact flash card.

New oak cabinets, granite tops and a new floor. I didn't do the floor, but I helped design it and consulted on it.

The cabinets were finished to matching existing stain, and the drawer fronts and door fronts of my cabinets also had to match existing stuff the builder put in.

The lateral boxes are no big deal (OK, so they are box jointed, solid oak boxes). The computer desk was pretty involved with all the pullouts/drawers, holes for wiring, electrical, phone and cable wire, and the fan, switch and holes for ventilation. Plus, I had to scribe to a tall baseboard.

The granite is called Peacock something or other - from Brazil. The floor is walnut, (Monticello pattern, on the diagonal), with a cocobollo and granite border.

The client is happy. I'm happy. Everybody's happy!!

More info on my web site if you want the full story.

What I learned on this job: MATCH THE FINISH THE FIRST TIME STUPID!!

Todd

Greg Tatum
09-04-2004, 9:13 PM
SUUUWEEEEET!!! looks great...what do these people do for a living to afford such fine craftmanship?

Greg

Steve Clardy
09-04-2004, 9:15 PM
Looks A-ok. Quite a change from the garage cabinet. I like the finish and tops. Matches real well. Did you install the tops or did the granite guys?
Steve

Terry Hatfield
09-04-2004, 9:58 PM
Todd,

WOW!!! Those look great...as usual!!! Always love to see your work.

t

Bob Marino
09-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Todd,

Great, super, outstanding - just what we have come to expect of you.

Going to check your web for the details.

Bob

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
09-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Keeping up the standard, Todd. I'll bet the word-of-mouth thing is really working for you now. Are you about ready to move to a larger shop and hire workers?

Dan Mages
09-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Nice work!! I like the granite border. Any risk of cracking with movent in the floor?

Dan

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Awesome work as always Todd. Always inspiring to see the excellence you produce time and time again. The cabinets look great, and the interior design is very well thought out...............top notch, fer sure! :)

Todd Burch
09-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. Now, to answer:

Greg - they don't do woodworking for a living!! She's a stay at home mom (gramma) and he was retired, and on a board of directors somewhere, but then they hired him back to be the COO. Go figure. $$$

Steve - nice avatar!! Granite guy did the tops. Client picked the color. I specified the bullnose, overhang and grommet holes.

Terry, Bob, Kevin, thanks. Bob, go to the potty before you sit down to start reading - it's probably one of my longer web pages.

Don, word of mouth is working, but the web site response and traffic is pretty awesome too. I had a prospect come over today that drove from Chapel Hill to Katy just to see some of my stuff. (about 60+ miles I guess). They want a dining room table - something unique. I showed them my extra slab of bubinga and I think I sold them!! I have another appt. with them this next week. (And no, I have not even started the 1st bubinga table!! - yet.)

Dan, I like it too. And WHOA YES! there is risk of cracking - several pieces cracked while it was being installed. It's a 2nd floor room and the subfloor is nothing special. When you cut granite 2" wide and in long pieces, it gets very brittle. Liquid nails seems to work best. The floors guys used epoxy and it broke. My granite guy came back with L.Nails and it seems to be doing much better.

Todd

Jason Tuinstra
09-05-2004, 5:47 AM
Todd, you're the man! Those are very nice looking cabinets. I really like how everything is hidden behind those doors. The major downside to computers is all the clutter that comes with them. You did a nice job at making everything look nice and tiddy! Way to go. The tops look perfect as well. Thanks for showing them off.

John Renzetti
09-05-2004, 7:38 AM
Hi Todd, It looks really good. I like the design. Very clean.
Really like cabinet where the computer, etc are stored. Did you provide for ventilation for the computer case via a fan.
take care,
John

Todd Burch
09-05-2004, 8:45 AM
Hi John. Yes, did than fan (Radio Shack - $20), and a switch for the fan, and cut elongated holes inside the cabinet, on the floor of the cabinet, directly over the toe kick space, both boxes. You can see the hole in the left side box, in the above picture with the doors all open. The right side hole is hidden by the pullout.

Originally, the client didn't want a toe kick. And, they didn't want to see any ventilation holes either. So, we went with the toe kick, and I just closed off the ends to give the cabs a more finished look. Todd.