PDA

View Full Version : Request For Prayers

Heather Thompson
07-31-2009, 4:11 PM
I called my parents yesterday as I was making dinner, in talking to my mom she casually mentions that my dad has cancer, dropped to my knees crying. My parents have a hard time dealing with emotions and feelings, better not to cause worry in their minds eye, I have lost alot of wieght due to crying here.

My dad had a hard life, mom died at seven, his father fell in the bottle there after and my dad moved out at fourteen as a result. Dad is a Korean Vet, worked as a tool and die maker his whole life (made the face shield of the first man on the moon), held me in his lap as he read the Sunday "funnies". I learned the basics of woodworking at my dads side, he has given me a good core in values and beliefs, I am greatful to my father.

Heather

Ron Jones near Indy
07-31-2009, 4:20 PM
Your dad, you, your family and his medical team will be in my prayer.

jeremy levine
07-31-2009, 4:27 PM
Have faith, my mom is a 70 year old cancer survivor (14 years plus).

Jim O'Dell
07-31-2009, 4:28 PM
Heather, prayers and good thoughts coming his way, and your's!!!
My Dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer about 10 years ago now. Had the surgery and is doing great. Had quadruple bypass about 3 years ago. Still going strong, but it has slowed him down. He's also a Korean War Vet. I know what you mean about parents not wanting to burden the kids. I had to push this past Fall when Mom mentioned that Dad was going to have to have a pacemaker installed (installed???:confused:) to find out when and where. I took the day off to be with Mom not knowing if someone would be with her or not. She did have a good friend there, but I know it meant a lot to both of them knowing I was there. That's all we can do most of the time if we are close enough.
Depending on the type of cancer, there are a lot of options, and many with very good prognosis. Hang in there. Tears aren't a bad thing. Looking to your friends, even those of us online, is good too. Just know that we will be there for you! Jim.

Brian Effinger
07-31-2009, 4:53 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Heather.

Stay strong.

Joe Mioux
07-31-2009, 5:49 PM
Heather, I hope and pray everything works out for the best. Those few sentences that you used to describe your dad, spoke volumes of his character and yours.

prayers, joe

Jeremy Strickland
07-31-2009, 6:39 PM
I'm new to the forum here and wanted to let you know I'll add you to my prayer list. My mom was diagnosed with Luekemia??? over 10 years ago and had not had any problems until last year. She had to start chemo in July/August last year. She had alot of folks praying for her all over the Nation. But it was God's choice and timing in February of this year to take her home. She had just turned 70. There is alot they can do for cancer now....
I have an uncle who has had it for years and has had chemo and treatments... He's got to be close to 80 now. So really it all depends on God and his timing. We'll pray for healing, but untimately it's in his plans. You've just got to always remember that. Our days were ordained for us before a one of them came into being. Know that I'll be praying for you and your dad. Hope he can get better and be healed.

Jason Roehl
07-31-2009, 6:43 PM
You're most definitely in our prayers, Heather. May God grant you the strength and peace to get through this trying time.

Belinda Barfield
07-31-2009, 6:54 PM
Heather, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Little girls and their daddies have special relationships, and you will always be his little girl. Us girls here on the Creek are few, but we're a pretty tight group when push comes to shove. We are all here for you and don't hesitate to cyber-cry on my shoulder at any time. You and your family will be in my thoughts. Just try to remember one thing, exhausting yourself isn't beneficial to you, or your father when he needs you. My family doesn't show much emotion either, no matter what life throws their way my parents remain stoic and just deal with it. I wish I had that strength from them, but I don't. Keep the faith and be there for them as much as they will let you. Big hug!

David Christopher
07-31-2009, 7:16 PM
Heather, yall will be on my prayer list

Ken Fitzgerald
07-31-2009, 7:37 PM
Heather,

You, your Dad and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

John Keeton
07-31-2009, 7:56 PM
Heather, many here have encouraged you to hold your head up and be strong. Your parents will need much from you, and it is important that you stay healthy.

The good Lord will not put more on you than you and Him together can handle. Our prayers are with you, and with your parents. It is not ours to ask why, just know God has a plan!

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2009, 8:27 PM
Heather - many of us have been through this in one form or another and it is not easy. The key to things is to remember that you are not alone. You have family and you have friends - many of whom you have yet to meet. Be strong for your folks and let them know how much you love and appreciate them.

You and your family are in my prayers! We are all here for you - if you need us.

Dennis Peacock
07-31-2009, 9:44 PM
Your dad, you, your family and his medical team will be in my prayer.

+1.!!!! Consider it as lifted up in prayer.

Sam Layton
08-01-2009, 2:59 AM
Heather,

I am sorry to hear about your dad. You, your dad, and your family will be in my prayers.

God Bless, Sam

Walt Caza
08-01-2009, 9:45 AM
Heather,
My thoughts are with you and your family in facing this
most horrible of news.
I hope you find strength in a difficult time.

It is precious and valuable that he gave you solid values and
woodworking lessons too...

May God bless all of you,
Walt

Leigh Costello
08-01-2009, 5:41 PM
Heather,

No words I can say will take your hurt away. Just be yourself and don't worry about your tears. Each one is an "I love, Dad" and can be shared with him and your Mom. Be careful to keep yourself healthy and be sure to let us at the 'Creek know what we can do.

Leigh

Heather Thompson
08-01-2009, 9:31 PM
Thank you all for the kind words and prayers being offered up, it means alot to me and my family.

A few years ago my dad and I had a conversation and the topic of death came up, he stated that he has had a full and rich life, then he looked me dead in the eye and said he doesn't want to live forever.

I am a member of a Twelve Step program and find great comfort there, I read from a book of daily meditatations and have comforted many a friend that is suffering from grief, today I comforted myself.

"Grief is usually not a constant state, but instead often seems to occur in a series of waves of greater or lesser intensity." David Harp

When we're completely inundated with feelings of grief, we may be unable to see that we're in the midst of a process. We think that our sorrow cannot be healed, and that grief will never end. But just as we think that we are about to go under, grief lessens for a moment. We foreget ourselves, perhaps in giving service, offering compassion to another, or sharing laughter at a memory. This brief respite before grief returns hints at the healing that will come in time.
Grief and healing , like many natural phenomena, are processes, not one time events. Feelings of grief come and go, flooding us with intensity and then receding. Later, when the flow of grief has ended, a wave may still come over us now and then. Each of us has our own timetable; we can't predict when our grief will end. But we needn't fear that grief will destroy us or stay with us forever. In time, we do heal.

Today I have compassion for myself and others who have suffered loss. I trust that healing will come eventially.

Thank you again for all of your kind words and prayers.

Heather :)

Leigh Costello
08-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Heather,

Beautifully put.

Leigh

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Heather,

One more thing I thought I'd mention.

Find out what kind of cancer your Dad has and what stage. Today, not all cancers are an immediately terminal and yet some are.

17 years ago this month my wife was diagnosed with a rare and deadly form of cancer. We took her to the University of Washington Medical Center for surgery. There a team of 5 surgeons operated on her for 7 hours. Stage 0 for that type of cancer has a 50% survival rate. She had stage one. Through some serious surgery and by the Grace of God, she's still alive and I'll be picking her up at the airport in an hour.

You may find your Mom will need you to lean on....maybe even more than your Dad. Our friends were more worried about my well being when the LOML had cancer than about her. They were afraid I'd have a heart attack.

Be strong for both of them and yet, don't be afraid to show your emotions. Spend time with them if you can. I lost my father to a heart attck 36 years almost 37 years ago. I was in the Navy stationed at Meridian, MS and he was in Cornell, IL. I wished I could have told him I loved him one more time. Spend time with them Heather.

Rob Cunningham
08-03-2009, 9:22 AM
Heather,
You and your family will be in my prayers.

Phyllis Meyer
08-04-2009, 9:00 AM
Heather,

You and your family (Dad especially) will be in our thoughts and prayers! Your words touched my heart, and one thing you must remember...the diagnosis can be dealt with! Our family will be praying that the medical team will be guided by the one that we believe has final say! God is good, and we believe not only in miracles for today, but that he will give you strength and wisdom to tackle whatever is ahead for Dad!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Jon Lanier
08-05-2009, 4:54 AM
Heather,

I just read this, I am praying for God's will in your life and the life of your parents. Remember, although your parents may be emotional, the older generation can take much more than you think. They have had the experience of all those years. Sharing your heart to your family is a good thing, don't hold it back. It may do more healing than you can imagine.

God Bless,
Jon

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-05-2009, 4:38 PM
May God bless you and your dad Heather.

Judy Kingery
08-05-2009, 4:58 PM
Heather, you and your Dad/family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I too, had a great Dad, and he was the one who let us just run rampant in the shop, taught us oh woodworking, metal works, etc, so yes. There is something about a father/daughter relationship when he says to you - ya know, love ya, believe in you, and you can do anything you want to do to succeed. So girl, hang in there, he knows you love him, and hopefully this can be treated successfully. So my heart goes out to you.

Jude

Angie Orfanedes
08-05-2009, 6:47 PM
Heather, God bless you and your family. I am sure your Dad is proud of his woodworking daughter.

Rod Upfold
08-07-2009, 8:59 PM
My prayers to you and yor family...my wife is a cancer survivor of 27yrs. They said that she wouldn't have anymore kids - she proved them wrong.

Now my son is on his fourth brain tumor...no more operations and he is on chemo.

I know how you feel - you can't stop thinking about it. I think about my son and his brain cancer seven to ten times an hour. Some times its a fleeting thought and other times the thought and feeling sorry last a fair time.

My prayers to your father...