PDA

View Full Version : 120mm to 6" hose question

Doug Shepard
07-31-2009, 3:49 PM
I have a giant empty feeling in the pit of my wallet but I'm finally pulling the trigger on a Hammer A3 31 after a year or so of waffling. I've found a number of threads on the DC connection question but they all seem to be looking at 4" or 5" flex hose connections. I've already got extra 6" flex hose and with the Hammer buy, i'd really rather not have to buy a length of 5" to hook it up. But if I pick up the Felder 120mm to 120mm elbow to the hood, I need to convert 120" to a diameter I can get 6" flex over. I'm not necessarily assuming that's 6" - Ex: 6" flex wont go over 6" S&D pipe. So would an adapter on the end of the elbow make for something that interferes with the machine operation or table movement? Do I need to bite the bullet, buy some 5" flex and reduce it at the opposite end from 6" to 5", then another adapter at the machine end from 5" to 120mm?

John Harden
07-31-2009, 4:44 PM
Doug, first off congratulations on the purchase!!!! I also recently ordered a Felder J/P combo as well and have been wrestling with the same issues you are. I visited the shop of an owner near me with the same setup I bought and he used 6" main lines that dropped down to 4" flex right before the machine connections. He was able to achieve nice clean, hose to machine connections by buying 120mm to 100mm adapters from Felder. 4" flex slips right over 100mm connectors. It's a tad loose (only 1/16' or so), but a couple wraps of duct or black electrical tape solves this.

My plan is to go this route and if I don't get the airflow I want, I'll switch over to 5". He doesn't have a probelm but he has a 3 HP Oneida cyclone. I have the same unit but in the 2 hp version that has a slightly smaller impeller. I'm probably getting around 1000-1100 cfm, where he get's about 300 more. If you choose 5" hose, the same technique works, but you have to wrap a few more turns of tape over the 120mm port since it is about 1/4" too loose. Some people stretch a thick piece of rubber hose over it too. Think cross section of a large inner tube.

On a side note, I was at Rockler the other day and noticed that the quick release dust "handle" for their 4" "vacuum" thing they sell might work well to quickly change the hose location from Jointer to Planer. I hope my clunky explanation makes sense, but it's a black ABS pipe, 4" diameter and about 8" long with a large handle sticking out of the side. One end is tapered and about 1/4" wider than 4".

Once my machines arrive, I think I'll play with it and see how it goes.

BTW, when I bought my Oneida, I also bought a bunch of adapters from them that allow me to fit their 6" blast gates to the inside of 6" flex hose and others to fit over the outside of 6" PVC. This is what I ran as my main and branch lines. If you choose to go with 5" or even 6" flex, call Oneida. They'll make sturdy metal adapters custom for you for a reasonable price. You just have to give them accurate ID/OD measurements. If you want the ultimate in a clean, high flow connection, just have them make you adapters for 120mm to 6" flex. That'd be a mondo hose to be switching back and forth, but you'd get some mighty air flow as long as you only had one blast gate open at a time.

Hope I helped here and haven't just confused you more.

Enjoy that new J/P combo!!!!!!

Regards,

John

Jim Becker
07-31-2009, 9:42 PM
120mm hoods readily adapt to 5" flex hose using an inexpensive rubber Fernco sewer pipe adapter available for about six bucks at the 'borg. The adapter goes over the port and inside the 5" flex hose. From there, you can use a normal 5" to 6" reducer on your drop to adapt the hose. I have several of these in my shop to adapt my MiniMax tools to my 5" and 6" drops. (Smaller 100mm ports can have a standard 4" flex hose squeezed tightly over them...Euro bandsaws typically have these)

Doug Shepard
08-01-2009, 6:10 AM
.... (Smaller 100mm ports can have a standard 4" flex hose squeezed tightly over them...Euro bandsaws typically have these)

Is that what's on the MM16? I haven't had a chance to check yet but I got to wondering last night if the Hammer and MM16 might not be the same. So maybe going with 5" flex might not have the cost offset by being able to use it on both machines. I still haven't managed to get the machine hookup for the BS done since getting my cyclone in.

Mike Heidrick
08-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I have 4" flex tightly stretched over the port on my MM20.

The two 120mm ports of the T1002S shaper have the sewer pipe adapters and then I am using two pieces of 4" flex (spiral still is not run :rolleyes: ) with quick attach ends inserted into the adapter. Works great so far.

Rod Sheridan
08-01-2009, 1:57 PM
Mein Gott!

A sewer pipe adapter on the pride of Austrian engineering!:eek:

I used a 5" metal HVAC elbow on mine, the small end slides on snuggly to the 120mm port.

I also used aluminum flex, so I don't get the static zap to the top of my head from the plastic flex.

Regards, Rod.

Doug Shepard
08-01-2009, 2:25 PM
Mein Gott!

A sewer pipe adapter on the pride of Austrian engineering!:eek:

Sort of the reverse of putting perfume on a pig, huh?:(

Scot Ferraro
08-01-2009, 2:39 PM
I have the A3 31 -- I got 120 MM hose in a 1 meter length from Felder and then hooked that up to a 120 MM to 6 inch connector that I bought from Oneida -- I can use a quick connect to hook up my DC to the machine and it works great. Funny as I have a Felder DC too that has 160 MM port and I configured that to 6 inches for my main line so that I could hook it up easily to my other machines. Oneida makes all kinds of special fittings and they are not too costly. You are going to love the machine!

Scot

Jim Becker
08-01-2009, 6:21 PM
Scot, I originally bought the Oneida 120mm reducers for both my J/P and my slider, but have since found the $6 Fernco connectors to work much better right at the tool and without the extra expense of both the 120mm hose and reducer. (I sold the reducers for about what I paid for them)

Scot Ferraro
08-01-2009, 8:38 PM
Thanks, Jim. That is good to know and much cheaper than the Oneida route for sure.

Scot

Mike Heidrick
08-01-2009, 8:53 PM
My sewer and drain adapters are imported too I am sure. Global Machinery. :rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
08-01-2009, 9:13 PM
I have the A3 31 -- I got 120 MM hose in a 1 meter length from Felder and then hooked that up to a 120 MM to 6 inch connector that I bought from Oneida -- I can use a quick connect to hook up my DC to the machine and it works great. ....

Hmmm. Thiat sounds like a pretty clean setup. I didnt realize you could get metric hose from them in such short lengths. Are you using their elbow fitting too or just straight in to the port?
Also, which Zambus did you use on your's? AC-300S or AC-600S?
I was going to PM to ask but it looks like you've got that turned off.

Ed Calkins
08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
While not a direct answer to the orig question re. 6" hose, I stumbled on a good solution for attaching regular 5" flex hose to the A3-31 120mm dust port. Felder has a small simple quick disconnect for this port (120mm to 120mm) that is about a $10. part if I remember correctly. (I can get the part # from my Felder/Hammer catalog if anyone needs it -- not next to me right now.) This part is easily attached and removed from the port (unlike the suggested sewer hose adapters) and is made of the same plastic the port is made of. It is only a few inches long and although it is made for 120mm attachment on both ends it fits perfectly inside the 5" flex hose and can be easily clamped to the hose. When used with 5" flex hose and when attached to the A3-31, the adapter is inside the hose and it looks like the hose only is attached. It works perfectly, easy to attach and remove, and adds no extra bulk or noticable weight to the hose.
Ed

John Harden
08-02-2009, 1:41 PM
Ed, I'd like that part number as it looks like they have a lot of straight connectors on their website. It sounds like the side that is 120mm ID is what slips inside 5" hose. Is the other end of this connector also 120MM ID so that it slips over the 120mm port on the machine? If so, this would be great! If not, how do you connect to the machine?

Thanks!!!!

John

Scot Ferraro
08-02-2009, 6:05 PM
Hi Doug,

I will have to turn on PM functionality -- did not realize it had been turned off. I use the 300 S castors -- they are rated at 330 pounds each, I believe and 4 of them are well within the weight of the machine. When you install them you will need to enlarge the two holes in the bottom of the chasis to accomodate the 12MM post. In the back you will have to drill two holes in each corner -- you can remove the back cover of the machine to access it for fitting the nuts on the stem -- it is a tight fit, but doable. I jacked the pallet up and drilled and fitted the castors before taking off the crate -- worked pretty well. In regards to your fitting, yes, Felder sells hose in 1 meter lengths (you might be able to give you a short section for too). I mount it permanently to the plastic port and I have the other end of the hose connected to the Oneida fitting that is 120 MM on one side and 6 inches on the other and I just leave it...you could also buy the elbow, but this would not really help me in my situation since I was going from 120 MM to 6 inches for my main trunk line.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Scot

Ed Calkins
08-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Ed, I'd like that part number as it looks like they have a lot of straight connectors on their website. It sounds like the side that is 120mm ID is what slips inside 5" hose. Is the other end of this connector also 120MM ID so that it slips over the 120mm port on the machine? If so, this would be great! If not, how do you connect to the machine?

Thanks!!!!

John
Yes, the 120MM ID fits inside the 5" flex perfectly (therefore OD must be close to 5") and clamps easily. The other 120MM ID end is a precision fit for the dust port -- it goes on and off easily and stays firmly in place. The adapter is so small and light it adds no bulk or stiffness to the flex hose and I am able to convert from jointer to planer without even removing the (easy to remove if desired) flex hose. I will try to remember to get the p/n from my shop this morning and add it to this thread today. Ed

Ed Calkins
08-03-2009, 7:26 PM
A better description of the "Straight Quick Connector" I have discussed in the previous posts: It is on pg 78 of the Hammer 08/09 Catalog and is part number 02.1.020. The length is about 2 3/4", one end that is about 1 3/4" is 120MM ID and is a precision fit for the A3-31 dust port -- it slips on securely and removes very easily. This same end has an OD that fits perfectly into 5" flex hose (mine came from Oneida). When this connector is clamped into the hose, the entire part is inside the hose and it fits perfectly onto the 120MM dust port. The other end is 120MM OD and just projects into the hose in my usage. Accidental find but a great solution.
Ed

John Harden
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
A better description of the "Straight Quick Connector" I have discussed in the previous posts: It is on pg 78 of the Hammer 08/09 Catalog and is part number 02.1.020. The length is about 2 3/4", one end that is about 1 3/4" is 120MM ID and is a precision fit for the A3-31 dust port -- it slips on securely and removes very easily. This same end has an OD that fits perfectly into 5" flex hose (mine came from Oneida). When this connector is clamped into the hose, the entire part is inside the hose and it fits perfectly onto the 120MM dust port. The other end is 120MM OD and just projects into the hose in my usage. Accidental find but a great solution.
Ed

Excellent!! Thanks Ed. I had intended to go with 4" hose as I have a mess of it lying around. I may just switch over to 5" now and order the connectors and hose.

Thanks!!!!!

Ed Calkins
08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Excellent!! Thanks Ed. I had intended to go with 4" hose as I have a mess of it lying around. I may just switch over to 5" now and order the connectors and hose.

Thanks!!!!!
I think that is wise -- 4" is smaller than 120MM so I think 5" is a better choice. My A3-31 (with limited use so far) seems to have excellent dust collection in both jointer and planer use with the 5" hose. I have an Onieda 3hp cyclone on the sucking end. Ed