PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Day Flared Vase

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2009, 11:41 AM
As some of you may already know, I haven’t been spending a lot of time on the lathe because I have been building a deck. Yesterday it rained so I managed to spend some quality ME time on the lathe!

Maple flared vase, 7 1/8” diameter x 5 3/8” high x 3/16” thick (except at the very bottom which is about ¾”), finished with Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly.

124186 124182 124183 124184 124185

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are encouraged!

Thanks for looking!

Chris Rae
07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Really Nice! I like the shape, very classy.

Mark Burge
07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Really Nice! I like the shape, very classy.

Ditto. That is a really nice looking bowl.

Bill Bolen
07-31-2009, 1:01 PM
I don't think I have seen this form from you before Steve. I like it very much. Nice smooth curve to the small foot and an excellent finish. WTG!...Bill..

Ken Glass
07-31-2009, 1:12 PM
Steve,
Very nice. This is a departure from the many hollow forms you do and it turned out very well. I like turning Maple because it seems always to be predictable and warps less than other woods when turned green. Now, get back to work on that deck!! Be sure and post a few pictures of it when completed.

George Morris
07-31-2009, 1:17 PM
Hi Steve very nice vase! I like the form and the finish looks great! Now back to the Deck!! G

Leo Van Der Loo
07-31-2009, 1:33 PM
Steve you know I call it as I see it :o, and yes nice finish, but that shape,------ would be good for a funnel I think ;), as a bowl I think the sides are too straight, no not my favorite shape, hope the rain is past and you will be able to finish your deck and be able to enjoy it if summer ever comes :rolleyes:, it's been a wet one around here and cool, we're going camping the next 10 days, we sure could use some nice warm sunny days :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2009, 1:48 PM
Thats a beauty Steve. I really like the form and finish. Hope the rain passes and you can get your deck done. Be nice to enjoy it a little this summer when it comes.:D

Jim Evans
07-31-2009, 2:06 PM
Steve, I like it!
Now for a technical question - what method did you use to hold the piece while you finished the bottom?

Scott Hackler
07-31-2009, 2:22 PM
I like the basic shape, but I would have prefered a more drastic curve from the bottom to the top. How stable is it with that small foot?

Tony De Masi
07-31-2009, 7:01 PM
Steve, I'm on the side of liking the shape of this one. BUT, that's the largest hole I've seen you use on your hollowforms.;);)

Tony

Curt Fuller
07-31-2009, 7:05 PM
Beauftiful vase Steve. Your usual flawless form and finish.

robert hainstock
07-31-2009, 8:15 PM
That is certainly diffferant for you. Do I detect a smatering of "eyes" there in photo one, or is that just sme grain anomolies?
Also you made marvelous progress on the deck today, aajnd I must say tjhat is going to be one differant design. :D:D
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-31-2009, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

Now for a technical question - what method did you use to hold the piece while you finished the bottom?
Jim - I used my donut chuck on this one because I didn't have a small enough chuck for my vacuum system. It worked fine but took a little playing to get it centered.

I like the basic shape, but I would have prefered a more drastic curve from the bottom to the top. How stable is it with that small foot?
Scott - when finish turning a rough out you are restricted as to just how much you can change the curve because you run out of wood real quick. I roughed this out last year and thought the form would be something different to experiment with. Surprisingly - the turning is very stable with the small foot but I did recess the inside of the foot - so only the rim portion makes contact.

Steve you know I call it as I see it :o, and yes nice finish, but that shape,------ would be good for a funnel I think ;), as a bowl I think the sides are too straight, no not my favorite shape, hope the rain is past and you will be able to finish your deck and be able to enjoy it if summer ever comes :rolleyes:, it's been a wet one around here and cool, we're going camping the next 10 days, we sure could use some nice warm sunny days :)
Leo - always appreciate your straight forward approach to things. I have to agree that the sides are to straight and would have loved to made it more of a trumpet form but did not have the wood to play with. Like mentioned - this was just meant as an experiment and a variation to the normal HFs I do.

As far as the rain/deck stuff - I am quickly running out of summer up here! Should have it finished fairly soon (couple of weeks at the most) and plan to break it in with a number of cold ones!

Thanks again everyone!

Harvey Ghesser
07-31-2009, 9:04 PM
That is just gorgeous Steve! The lines just make the eyes follow. Very pleasant to look at.

Harv