PDA

View Full Version : Combo Assemby/Outfeed Table - Useful?

Chuck Darney
07-31-2009, 10:37 AM
I've looked at the plans to build something similar to the Wood Magazine combo outfeed/assembly table. I assume others have built this table and I was wondering if you've found it as useful as it seems or is it something that "looks much better on paper".

I was going to build a torsion box to use as the top and use the plans to build the base.

Thanks...Chuck

Jamie Buxton
07-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Is your shop a garage, and does your tablesaw move? If so, a saw-mounted outfeed may be better. Garage floors are not flat -- not by a long shot. If you park a saw in one spot, and build the outfeed to fit, and then move them to someplace else, it is almost guaranteed that the outfeed top will not be parallel to the saw's top. Hanging the outfeed off the saw itself gets around this issue.

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi Chuck, I have a folding outfeed table on my saw, and it's the ideal solution for my small shop.

I can move the saw, raise the table and put the leg under it.

The leg has a threaded foot so I can adjust it to the floor, at that location.

If your saw is stationary, and you have the room, a permanent outfeed table is the best.

Regards, Rod.

Chuck Darney
07-31-2009, 1:21 PM
Is your shop a garage, and does your tablesaw move? If so, a saw-mounted outfeed may be better. Garage floors are not flat -- not by a long shot. If you park a saw in one spot, and build the outfeed to fit, and then move them to someplace else, it is almost guaranteed that the outfeed top will not be parallel to the saw's top. Hanging the outfeed off the saw itself gets around this issue.

The shop IS a garage and the table saw does move. Your concern about the non-level garage floor is very valid and not one that I had considered. It's very likely that the table, when used for outfeed, would be in the same place all of the time (positioned close to the garage door) and the table/table saw tops should stay parallel. If I do use it in a different area the adjustable feet would need to be used.

Chuck Darney
07-31-2009, 1:28 PM
Hi Chuck, I have a folding outfeed table on my saw, and it's the ideal solution for my small shop.

I can move the saw, raise the table and put the leg under it.

The leg has a threaded foot so I can adjust it to the floor, at that location.

If your saw is stationary, and you have the room, a permanent outfeed table is the best.

I think the folding table would be easier to build and would be "less clever". I have no kind of assembly table in the garage/shop and don't really have room for one. The dual solution would be good for the area. That was why I was wondering if it would really be worth the time and effort to build.

Thanks...Chuck

Steve Bishop
07-31-2009, 1:28 PM
Hello Chuck,
I built an assembly table the same height as my table saw so it could be used like an out-feed table. So far this is working out pretty good. The only issue I've had is the need to move all the stuff off the table before it can be used as an out-feed table. Seems like every horizontal surface in the shop (garage) attracts stuff, so finding a spot to move stuff from the out-feed table onto can be a challenge. Next time I'm building a folding out-feed table that's permanently attached to the table saw.

Steve

Chuck Darney
07-31-2009, 2:49 PM
Hello Chuck,
I built an assembly table the same height as my table saw so it could be used like an out-feed table. So far this is working out pretty good. The only issue I've had is the need to move all the stuff off the table before it can be used as an out-feed table. Seems like every horizontal surface in the shop (garage) attracts stuff, so finding a spot to move stuff from the out-feed table onto can be a challenge. Next time I'm building a folding out-feed table that's permanently attached to the table saw.

Steve

I know exactly what you mean about the flat surfaces. The panel cutting sled I made is on the left side of my blade because of a comment I read about the right side always being full of other stuff. As I think on it, I may just build both. The permanently attached will be used as outfeed and the table can be used as infeed, assembly and still provide a space to stow the TS during downtime.

Scott Schwake
08-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Chuck,

Haven't seen the Wood Magazine plans, but I recently build a combo assembly/outfeed table that I really find useful. It's approx. 4'x8' with a torsion box top. It's in my garage which doesn't exactly have a level floor, so I did add some levelers from Rocker which work pretty good for leveling, but also to get it to the right height to match my saw. I also added some retractable wheels so I can move it around, although I don't really move it that much. It was fun to build, good luck!