PDA

View Full Version : Plain Sawn Plywood...

John Grabowski
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
I am looking to purchase some cherry plywood from my local hardwood dealer and I I figures I would ask here before I hauled my trailer out there...Does plain sawn plywood actually show true cherry wood grain?

I know that one of them does not...I dont want that one...I am pretty sure it is rotary cut...I want to verify...Actually, I have to order it in from them...thats what it says on their website.

Thanks for any insight.

John G

Jamie Buxton
07-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Yes, plain-sawn has "normal wood grain". Rotary cut is what you don't want.

John Grabowski
07-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks Jamie...Thats what I thought...But I didnt want to screw it up and have a sheet of very exspensive plywood turned into shop cabinets :D.

John G

Michael Weber
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Not sure what rotary cut is exactly. Can some explain? Thanks

george wilson
07-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Rotary cut is when they chuck up a log between centers,and rotate it while a knife as long as the log proceeds into the log,peeling off the wood like you peel an orange. This produces the very wide "wild grain" commonly seen on plywood. It gets the most wood from the log,though. Then,the continuous strip of wood is flattened by running under heated rollers,and chopped off to make plywood sheet.

Curt Harms
08-01-2009, 10:55 AM
flat sawn plywood is like thin flat sawn boards veneered. I just used some flat sawn oak ply for a cabinet and to replace MDF window sills. Flat sawn oak is to me more attractive than rotary cut--no huge cathedral grain swatches.