PDA

View Full Version : 10" sliding mitersaw.

Dave Lehnert
07-30-2009, 11:36 PM
I have read through all the old post about 10" sliders. Just thought I would post this message to gain some info from woodworkers that has had the saws for an extended time now. Just looking for thoughts on the 3 saws below.
I LOL when reading magazine reviews how they will give a saw a B+ for a 45 degree cut. My thought with a miter saw is it must cut exact to be any good. It's a pass or fail.

Makita- Gets great reviews. I like the large table. But the saw just don't appeal to me. Can't say why, just don't. But......not out of the running.
Also the way the rails are mounted would saw dust not hinder the sliding vs a saw with the rails up high like the Bosch?
http://www.allprotools.com/images/cache/all-pro-tools-75fe33460cf0b46c2b6fef633ce7be94.jpg

I like the Ridged A LOT but it is a 12". I have no need for a 12", Blades cost more (but not too much) and would think the larger blade would deflected more over a 10" ????????

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/94/94087d5d-90a0-48b4-8f07-921d65e7840d_300.jpg

The Bosch 4410L Gets great reviews. is a 10" but can't find a local dealer who stocks the saw so I can get my hands on one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AHP1D26QL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Brad Ridgway
07-30-2009, 11:43 PM
for what it's worth, i was struggling with the Bosch / Makita decision too... Everytime i made up my mind i found a review on epinions or amazon from someone using the saw everyday for trimwork who bashed it.

I ended up with the hitachi based on that and consistent positive review from people at least claiming to be trim carpenters...

Ryan Griffey
07-31-2009, 12:17 AM
I have the 10" Makita and the 12" Bosch. The Bosch is easier to use but the Makita is more accurate. I use the Bosch for the heavy duty stuff and the Makita for trim and furniture. I haven't had any issues with dust build-up on the rails. I do get issues from time to time with the table on the Makita getting a little sticky with small pieces of wood. Other than that I get perfect cuts with the Makita and a Chopmaster blade.

Steven DeMars
07-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Check out the new Makita 10" Saw . .. ;)

Tom Hintz
07-31-2009, 3:02 AM
The Bosch 4410L has been my only SCMS for years and I still am very happy with it. However, I never assume any miter saws' 45-degree detents are spot on. I always make test cuts and dial it in to where I am satisfied with it on critical cuts. The Bosch makes that easier with its fine-tuning capability. I have a full eview of this swaw with lots of photos and more details at the link below if that would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b4410Lrvu.html

Darrell Bade
07-31-2009, 7:54 AM
I have had that Makita saw for 8 years or more now and cannot say anything bad about it. I built kitchen cabinets last year and used it for all my crosscuts on anything that was less than 12". Cut all the rails and stiles, door panels, drawer fronts, drawers sides and backs to length on it and it cuts just as straight as it did when I got it. I have not babied it over the years, I also have cut treated lumber including 4x4's on it and used it to frame my pole barn and basement. Would highly recommend it.

Robert Reece
07-31-2009, 8:11 AM
It is a nice saw. There is no concern with dust fouling the sliding bars because there is a very tight fit where they enter the linear bearings. All the dust is scraped off. I just wipe the bars off occasionally.

I have had the saw for some number of years and used it more for framing and trim then for any furniture type stuff. It did well for that. However, recently I started cutting hardwoords and the saw just didn't seem up to the task. All my cuts were hard to make and burned. Well a new blade (Freud SCMS blade) changed all that. The saw cuts wonderfully. It's effortless to go through oak and maple.

So I highly recommend it.

My only ding on it is that the handle sticks out and gets banged and hit and bent. So far that hasn't been issue, I just bend it back the little bit and all is well. However, my BIL is a framer and has this saw and the guys use it sometimes. The handle doesn't look so good on his.

Of course, dust collection is terrible as it is with all these saws. I have improved it greatly with a big cardboard hood over the thing attached to a clearvue cyclone. I'll post pics of that tomorrow in separate thread.

Sean Ackerman NY
07-31-2009, 8:13 AM
Hitachi C10FSH hands down. I can tell you from being on the other side of the fence...we sell, this is no exaggeration, 10 x's more the amount of Hitachi 10" sliders when compared to the rate of sale for any other miter saw, no matter what the size.

The consistency, reliability, ruggedness, lightweight and just overall dependability of this saw is unbelievable. We see it come back for repair less than any other saw, I hear way more rave reviews than any other saw and it's the only miter saw that I order in multiples of THIRTY when replenishing stock. I'd say the DeWalt DW718 comes in a distant second in that race.

If you want a reliable unit, with great value, that can be had a great price (anywhere) just grab the Hitachi. Sure they don't have the marketing power that Makita has had over the last three years nor do they have the bells and whistles of the Bosch miters, but damn, it's an unreal saw. I'd give it 4 thumbs up if I could figure out how to make my big toes give a big toe up.

Dave Sweeney
07-31-2009, 9:22 AM
Check out the new Makita 10" Saw . .. ;)

I'd like to hear more about that saw, do you have hands on knowledge you can share?

Steven DeMars
07-31-2009, 9:36 AM
I'd like to hear more about that saw, do you have hands on knowledge you can share?

Not yet, but it sure looks good & uses true linear ball bearings . . . .

Steve:)

Steven DeMars
07-31-2009, 9:38 AM
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LS1016L

Nice specs, looks really good . . .

I doubt many are out there yet . . . .

Dan Clark
07-31-2009, 3:08 PM
I have the Bosch 4410L; it has two problems - one definite; one depending on the saw. With a stand adapter, mine weighs 75lbs. (Don't tell me what their website says; I weighed mine.) And it's awkward to pick up. I messed up my back several times with this saw.

The other problem is the little wings on the saw. On mine, the left wing isn't coplanar with the bed. Apparently this is a known problem with the saw and it throws out the accuracy.

There are several other issues that bug me about the saw, but these are the two biggies.

I want to replace it with a Festool Kapex 120 or a Makita LS1016. The Festool is very nice, but pricey.

The Makita is new and untested. And I've heard about issues with binding in one of the rail sets (it has two) and that it's dust collection may be poor. I hope I'm wrong about the Makita because I like the brand and the price is right.

Regards,

Dan.

Dave Lehnert
07-31-2009, 10:57 PM
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LS1016L

Nice specs, looks really good . . .

I doubt many are out there yet . . . .

That new Makita look slick. Played with one in the store. That 4 rail guide set up seems awkward to me.

Don Morris
07-31-2009, 11:09 PM
I've got the old Hitachi C10FS. If I were to upgrade, I'd definitely look at the C10FSH. It's been a great machine. Solid in every respect except for the short fence. That has been somewhat taken care of in the newer models. Don't pass it up without a look or test drive.

Jim Foster
08-01-2009, 9:50 AM
I know it's a bit pricey and then some, but if I was going to buy a sliding saw today, I'd look very hard at this one.

Charles McKinley
08-04-2009, 2:09 AM
Reguardless of the saw you buy you want the Ridgid MSUV if this saw is going to be moved around. These saws are heavy and awkward to move. This stand is very stable to move and easy to set up. I have the older version an really like it and the new one look easier to adapt to different saws.