PDA

View Full Version : changing blades on planer

tim peterson74
07-30-2009, 10:22 PM
So I decided it was time to change the blades for the first time on my rigid planer. The first one went just fine then the next one all the screws came out fine except one it is completely locked cant get it out, started to strip the screw. Any ideas how to get it out now.

Fred Belknap
07-30-2009, 10:37 PM
I have a screw extractor that you give a sharp blow with a hammer and it will usually loosen a screw. I learned that when I was younger and worked on motorcycle motors. Don't remember where I got it.

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2009, 8:17 AM
I have a screw extractor that you give a sharp blow with a hammer and it will usually loosen a screw. I learned that when I was younger and worked on motorcycle motors. Don't remember where I got it.

Fred is recommending an impact screwdriver. They do work well, the only issue is that the screw has to in something well supported.

If I was going to use it on the cutter head of a portable planer, I'd take the head out of the planer and support it on a block of wood.

You can purchase an impact screwdriver at most tool suppliers.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. You have to apply a twisting force to the driver while you strike it with a sharp blow from a hammer. Two people would be best so that one could hold the cutter head.

Kevin Godshall
07-31-2009, 5:32 PM
I had a stuck one one time and thought I will just force it a bit more. Next thing I knew my knuckle was all bloody from slipping off and sliding across the still installed blade.

Use your brain not your brawn. You will be happy later.

Chip Lindley
07-31-2009, 6:08 PM
U Sure you're turning the bolt in the right direction? Jus checkin!

To loosen gib bolts they must be *tightened* down against the gib, rather than *loosened* back against the planer head. So, in this case, its *Righty-Tighty*!

The *screw extractor* mentioned above is impossible to use on a bolt with the head hidden, as yours is.

It's scary (but possible)that the bolt was cross-threaded at the factory! IF so, the only solution may be to remove half the bolt head by judiciously cutting a slot through the hex head (right thru its center, to keep from damaging the cutter head) with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel. Once the gib is out, the bolt can be drilled through, for using an *easy-out* to remove it!

IF you are not inclined to perform *surgery* on your planer, time to call Ridgid CS! I assume you still have a warranty in effect!

Kyle Iwamoto
07-31-2009, 8:35 PM
Is it a little rusty? I always try liquid wrench or any penetrating rust-removing oil, let sit for a day. You can try GENTLE heat from a propane torch. Be carful by the blade. Spray more penetrating oil while hot. Try tightening a bit then loosen it. If you get some movement rock it back and forth (with the wrench) until you can pull the blade unit out. When you get it out you'll have lots of room to figure whats wrong.

Mike Hoyt
08-01-2009, 1:25 AM
I had the same problem when I tried to change mine for the first time. It seems they over torque them at the factory. All I did was use an easy out and some PB blaster and it came right out. You can get those metric button head screws at any well stocked hardware store. Needless to say, dont put them back in as tight. :p

Mike