PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cap Pocket Chisels

Peter Bell
07-30-2009, 5:28 PM
The Woodcraft store I have an arrangement with can procure the Fast Cap Pocket Chisels for me. They are in the Woodcraft on line catalogue.

They come in four sizes 1/4" 1/2" 3/4" and 1" and are all priced at $19.95 each. The benefit for me is there portability.

I am trying to improve my sharpening skill for plane blades and chisels and have the help of a very experienced retired tool maker engineer friend. Normally I would not be interested in these but now my chisels are getting sharper I am hesitant to throw them into my tool box that I take to our Wood Club each Tuesday. We can use the clubs chisels but sometimes their handle cuts better then the steel end.

The idea of a folding chisel protecting the keen edge from damage and also from cutting me appeals. The one doubt I have is because I cannot see them in person I have to buy sight unseen. The description by Woodcraft is that they are made of tool steel but do not give the Rockwell hardness so I can make a better informed opinion of them.

Off course I do not expect them to be the quality of a high end chisel but for around the $20 mark are they in line with similar quality priced chisels or am I paying a high premium for the folding handle at the expense of steel only suitable for the bin. I do not know where they are made but because of the lack of information i suspect China but am unsure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Harlan Barnhart
07-30-2009, 6:22 PM
I think you need a nice tool roll for your sharp chisels.

Gary Herrmann
07-30-2009, 6:26 PM
I'd wonder how rigid the handle would be - thus making a potential injury or mistake more likely. Why not just buy some plastic chisel edge guards for the chisels you have? WC sells them too, I believe. Or even just some folded over cardboard and painters tape.

Peter Bell
07-30-2009, 8:39 PM
I think you need a nice tool roll for your sharp chisels.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think you may have saved me some money.

I will check out a chisel tool roll. The plastic caps I have seen would not stay on the chisels and I think they might get displaced in time.

Each problem in this caper when fixed creates a bottleneck further down the stream. When I could not sharpen I did not have this worry about blunting the chisels or cutting myself.

Is there no end in sight?

Peter

phil harold
07-30-2009, 9:33 PM
I am hesitant to throw them into my tool box that I take to our Wood Club each Tuesday.

Peter

I think the real solution is to build a tool box or tote to travel to your Wood Club

I some worlds, craftsmans are judged by thier tool boxes that they build

If you can find Jim Toplin's "The Toolbox Book" there are many good ideas for transporting your tools

http://books.google.com/books?id=F5RsoAON7ZgC&dq=Jim+Toplins+tool+box&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=q0hySruoG5CssgPIl7jMCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false

+1 on the tool roll
it would be a fast option