PDA

View Full Version : My New(est) Unisaw (w/pic)

David Eisan
09-04-2004, 3:19 PM
Just because one cannot have enough Unisaws, I brought another one of mine home last night. It has been in storage where I work for almost a year as I acquired the parts I needed to rebuild it. I have a new Dan Foss mag starter, 3 hp Baldor motor, DeWALT sliding table, General T-Square (Biesemeyer) 50" fence, Delta mobile base and Biesemeyer splitter for it. All just waiting for the tear down, clean up and rebuild.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/justbroughthome.jpg

In total I have about $1400 CDN (about $1050 USD) into the saw and the new parts. I still have to buy paint, bearings and maybe pay for some machine shop work. I checked the arbour, and it has less than 0.001" of run out, so unless I mangle it when I change the bearings, no machining should have to be done.

This saw is a 50's version, made here in Canada with a cast iron plinth. The front edge of the main table is machined at 90º to the table top, and strait, which is what I needed to install the DeWALT sliding table. My current saw, and most of the Canadian made Unisaws that I have come across have a rough sand cast front edge into which bosses were machined for standoff posts to attach the front and rear rails to. Attaching the DeWALT sliding table to a non-strait front table edge would have been difficult.

This new saw will be come my main saw and I will sell the old one (4HP Leeson) for $1500 CDN when this one is done.

More photo's to follow...

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-04-2004, 3:25 PM
Foul!! Two Uni's in one shop???

Just kidding...nice rebuilding job you are doing. I keep watching the paper here, but never see one for sale. I did call on a PM today, not sure if it's a 64 or a 66.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-04-2004, 4:05 PM
Congrats on the new saw but I want one too.

Tyler Howell
09-04-2004, 6:22 PM
Dave we need to see them all lined up together. Sounds like there are more than 2???? Fess up how many????
They have therapy and medication for this kind of thing you know!!:p :p
Way to go!;)

Mike Cutler
09-04-2004, 6:59 PM
Not Fair!! Two saw penalty invoked:D ( Do we have a penalty for this yet ). All kidding aside Dave, nice find. It's nice to see old iron rehabed and put back into service.

Dan Mages
09-04-2004, 8:07 PM
Nothing wrong with two saws. One for cross cutting and one for ripping.

Congrats. If the saw does not work out for you, please send it my way. ;)

Dan