PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to an 8 inch Jointer...need advice

Matt Haus
07-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I have a makita 2030 jointer/planer combo. I have decided to get a jointer with a wider platform.

I've considered selling the makita due to space in the shop. Do you think I will miss the planer if I do. I might buy a dedicated planer down the line but want to know if I can do with out the makita planer since I can use the 8 in jointer for now to clean up the boards I have.

What I do. Mostly small boxes, Some cabinets and some bookshelves... Like to know your opinion.

Sale the makita and apply the funds to the jointer and get by with that until I can invest in a decicated planer. Or keep it but the shop will be a little tight.

Rod Sheridan
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Matt, why not get another combo, just wider?

I have a Hammer A3-31 and really like it........Rod.

John Harden
07-30-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd recommend you hold on to the planer until you have the funds/space for another one. You'll need it to thickness boards to final dimension. Jointers don't perform this task well at all. Just not designed for it.

Have you considered a larger jointer/planer combo such as the Grizzly 10"? Both Jet and Grizz make 12" models.

Just a thought.

Regards,

John

Matt Haus
07-30-2009, 1:12 PM
Excellent ideas. I will look at those products.

John Thompson
07-30-2009, 6:48 PM
I would most definitely hang on to the planer until you get something to replace it. I love my jointer.. I love my planer which I use everyday almost. A one legged man can get by but it sure is nice to have both. Tight or not.. I would not depart with it until....

Good luck...

Curt Harms
08-01-2009, 10:35 AM
The combo machines are a nice solution. If the Griz 10" had been available when I was shopping I would have thought seriously about it. The biggest complaint about combo machines is the limited jointer bed length. The 10" Griz is 40 15/16". Using the rule of thumb that you can effectively joint stock twice the length of the beds, that would put maximum stock length to be jointed at 82", or just under 7'. When I face joint stock, I cut it to rough length first. If there's much bow or twist to a board, flattening the entire length at one time can remove quite a bit of thickness. By the time I plane the other side I have less than 3/4" thickness. I have the Jet JJP 12 which has beds totaling 55". If I need to joint longer than about 6' I set up roller stands for infeed and outfeed support. That seems to work out well. The Grizzly machine has the owner's manual available online. If you're interested, download the manual and see what you think. The only thing that put me off some is the method of servicing the chain that drives the planer bed height adjustment. Still, for less than $1,000 and free shipping for now, I'd have been tempted.

Matt Haus
08-01-2009, 11:08 AM
The jointer I have my eye on is the powermatic 60HH.

It's the new 8 inch one. I'm in my mid 30s and want to buy once cry once sort of thing. It's more expensive but I am accumulating equipment for life. The 54HH got great reviews but some have told me to get the 8 inch if I can.