PDA

View Full Version : First Question

Judy Stefl
07-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I have been turning since 2007 and this is my fist question. I am getting some Kentucky Coffee Tree wood from a tree trimmer. I do not know anything about this wood but did look on the web and found it can be poisonous to animals. My concern is turning it. :confused: Does anyone have any information about this wood.

This site has been a great teaching tool and has given my sister and I alot to try. We will post picture in the near furture. Thanks

Don Orr
07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a piece of that wood done by another turner and he was alive when I bought it in Montreal. Is it the wood or the leaves or the seeds/pods that are the problem ? Maybe dig a little deeper into the toxicity issue. I believe the AAW site has a chart on toxic woods. It is an attractive wood with nice colors.

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Judy - did a Google on this and there is a lot of info. Apparently it is a cousin of the Black Locust and I have seen some beautiful turnings out of that wood. The seedpods from the Kentucky Coffee tree are poisonous when eaten raw but early settlers roasted the seeds and used them as a poor substitute for coffee - back in the day!

Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!

CW McClellan
07-30-2009, 1:56 PM
Steve thats probably what happened to the lost colonies --to much coffee LOL :D

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2009, 6:46 PM
Welcome Judy to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Judy I have turned about 3 big pieces of that wood and it did not bother me. Of course when sanding I wear my trend and wear it all the time in the shop.