PDA

View Full Version : questions about slippery elm

Bob Weisner
09-04-2004, 2:38 PM
Hi:

I will be having a slippery elm cut down on my property this week and have some questions:

1. how many board feet can I get out of the tree? It is about 30-32 inches in diameter and about 14 feet to the first branches.

2. how is it for turning?

thanks,

Bob

Carl Eyman
09-04-2004, 6:44 PM
Many years ago when I was in the candy manufacturing business, I was approached by a firm that sold Slippery Elm Cough LozengesThe company that had manufactured them for these people had gone out of business. Would we be interested? Worst decision I ever made. We had nothing but trouble. Lost a bundle. Hope your use of the wood turns out much more satisfactory.

Steve Clardy
09-05-2004, 11:11 AM
30"x14' will yield 591 bd. ft. Providing you measured the small end of the log. If you measured the large end, that figure will be less.
Log yield is always measured at the small end. The slabs and first cuts will be shorter boards due to the taper in the log.
As far as working property of the wood, cannot tell you much about it as I have never used it. I have used Red Elm, which is fairly stable and a great cabinet wood, though uncommon.
Steve