PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Laminate on a Hex shaped box

Art Bianconi
07-30-2009, 5:19 AM
I do a fair amount of laminating using Formica and have had reasonable success and predictable results using a laminate trimmer or my router to trim edges. Typically I apply the laminate to the surface, after the geometry has been glued up.

However, the design of a box that has a hexagon shape makes conventional trimming methods unavailable.

Might some of you please offer me some suggestion as to how to get precise joints at each intersecting vertex?

The enclosure measures 18" across the flats and about 4 inches high.

Thanks

Art

Steve Jenkins
07-30-2009, 9:21 AM
I would laminate before cutting the sides and joining them.If you can cut good clean accurate miters the joining is easily done with clear packing tape pulled tightly around the box. It will stretch a bit and really works well. another way would be to get a tilt base router. Porter Cable makes one in trim router size.

Art Bianconi
07-30-2009, 6:40 PM
Hi Steve!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've a brand spankin' new Bosch double miter saw. I've DeWalt Radial saw too but the machine has never been squared up properly so I don't trust my mitered cuts on it. Heck I can't even get a square cut! Don't know why it should be so troublesome.

What blade would you suggest for the Bosch that will give me clean, chip free mitered cuts on a board that has Formica on it?

I also have a brand new Grizzly 17" Band saw. Would that perhaps be a better tool for this?

I'm new to both these saws and have not really used them for any serious work yet.

Thanks

Art

David Christopher
07-30-2009, 7:34 PM
Art, do you have a tablesaw ? if so I would use it....in my shop I can get cleaner more acurate cuts with the tablesaw

Art Bianconi
07-31-2009, 9:58 AM
Chris the Sears table saw is the one surver of an ugly divorce, purchased right after I got custody of my daughter. One does not get good cuts from a $100 table saw and it's been in the shop far too long. A good used contractors table saw is on the agenda.

I have concluded that the best way to get the precise cuts is to do what Steve suggested. First I will layup a complete panel of sufficient size to get the half dozen side pieces, when laid out side by side.

Then I'll cut the two bevels at each end of the material. That will help insure that the bevel edges are perpendicular to the long side of 6 panels. Then I'll simply rotate it 90° and rip each piece from what is left.

The budget for shop tools and equipment took major hits recently. I bought a TIG welder, a new engineering workstation and a full sized van. The cubbard is bare so the table saw will have to wait.

I'd still like to know what blade to use for cutting that won't damage the Formica. Me thinks a 64 tooth carbide maybe?

Thanks

Art

Steve Jenkins
07-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Definately carbide and I use a triple chip tooth configuration.