PDA

View Full Version : Another question...curios one!

Miguel Pinho
07-30-2009, 3:58 AM
Hello everyone...

I ask you all about your opinion on this.
Yesterday i showed to a friend of mine a p laser engraved photo on black granite, the engraving wal really good, made by a good quality picture ;)
But, for my surprise,my friend told me that i knew a guy that has a machine (not laser, not sanblast) that engraved even beter than laser, and that only exist to machines like that in Portugal... (i askethe d the guy to show me machine and he denied (top secret invention..lolololol).
Do you believe this?Does this secret machine exist?

Regards

Miguel

PS:he said the machine used some perforate system.

Rodne Gold
07-30-2009, 4:38 AM
Maybe an impact engraver like the roland Metza or something like that , essentially uses sharp "pins" to strike the object?

Steven Wallace
07-30-2009, 4:41 AM
Is it so secret that he would have to kill you if he showed it to you?

Now to be serious: It is always possible that such a machine exists but without more information it is hard to tell what it is or how it would work. I always feel that anything is possible until I can prove otherwise. That is why I got into owning my own business.

Miguel Pinho
07-30-2009, 9:05 AM
Thanks for the info...
Do you think that machine can create better quality image that a normal laser engraving?
I saw the machine and it's to small

Maybe an impact engraver like the roland Metza or something like that , essentially uses sharp "pins" to strike the object?

Rodne Gold
07-30-2009, 9:38 AM
No , those impact machines are no where near a laser, i wouldnt consider one at all...they are problematic and are very limited in what they can do.
I doubt , if it is one of them , that their resolution is anywhere near a lasers in terms of impact tip spot size vs Laser spot size.

Miguel Pinho
07-30-2009, 9:52 AM
Im going for Rodne opinion, maybe its a roland, but i think ist not even close to a laser engraving machine.

Is it so secret that he would have to kill you if he showed it to you?

Now to be serious: It is always possible that such a machine exists but without more information it is hard to tell what it is or how it would work. I always feel that anything is possible until I can prove otherwise. That is why I got into owning my own business.

Dan Hintz
07-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Is it possible your friend saw an image engraved on black marble using a laser and didn't realize it? The resolution of marble is significantly higher than that of granite, so that could easily account for his perception of something better than the laser.

Miguel Pinho
07-30-2009, 6:07 PM
Thats what i told im Dan. Its impossible to have other tecnology better than laser for bitmap images...besides, the guy doesnt undestand a sh...of laser engraving.
I talked today to a Roland engraver machines supplier in Portugal and he told me that these machines cant produce bitmap images.
Anyway, my laser its only 25 watt, maybe the image is not so good like an 30 watt or more laser machine.

Thanks everyone for your opinions

Is it possible your friend saw an image engraved on black marble using a laser and didn't realize it? The resolution of marble is significantly higher than that of granite, so that could easily account for his perception of something better than the laser.

Miguel Pinho
07-30-2009, 6:28 PM
take a look at the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YserX5t3CKo&feature=PlayList&p=3B1BB48DF031466D&index=0&playnext=1

Rodne Gold
07-31-2009, 2:11 AM
thats not essentially a "bitmap" image , it is being engraved as a vector image and not "dots"
This is the machine that does the bitmaps
http://www.rolanddga.com/asd/products/impactprinters/

Andrea Weissenseel
07-31-2009, 3:54 AM
Maybe it's a secret printer :D

Jon Colley
07-31-2009, 9:05 AM
There is an Italian company named Venture that makes a peaning system that can be mounted to any of their XY systems. He could have something like this. I'm not sure if they are still being sold but the system was called the PhotonX. I did some work with one about 7 years ago on metal and you could do some pretty impressive stuff with it, but I never tried it on stone and it is certainly very slow compared to laser.

Miguel Pinho
08-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes i have already seen that machine...its to small and i think that doesn't fit for granite engraving.
Thanks for the information.

thats not essentially a "bitmap" image , it is being engraved as a vector image and not "dots"
This is the machine that does the bitmaps
http://www.rolanddga.com/asd/products/impactprinters/

Bill Cunningham
08-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Our local monument maker had a fellow they used that would create photos, and artwork by dropping rods to chip the stone..bit by bit he chipped the stone, and crated what ever he needed, he did amazing work, but sadly he died a few years ago, and did not have a apprentice or anyone else that could do the work and carry on his art.. I did some stuff for them, but have not heard from them in a while.. They may have finally invested in a 'big' laser, or continued to work with sandbalsting