PDA

View Full Version : Starting Neander...

Will Hon
07-30-2009, 3:07 AM
Hi, I'm just beginning to Neander around, and I'm wondering if you were first beginning to accumulate hand tools what you would buy, and in what order?

I currently have Stanley block plane "inherited", just restored, I just picked up a Stanley #5 for $20 from a local guy, and a cheapo 3/8" Irwin chisel. Everyones input would be awesome, Thanks

Michael Faurot
07-30-2009, 3:31 AM
A good approach to this is to pick a project you want to tackle with hand tools first. Based on the needs of the project, you can then figure out what tools you need to complete that project.

Rob Young
07-30-2009, 5:23 AM
Hi, I'm just beginning to Neander around, and I'm wondering if you were first beginning to accumulate hand tools what you would buy, and in what order?

I currently have Stanley block plane "inherited", just restored, I just picked up a Stanley #5 for $20 from a local guy, and a cheapo 3/8" Irwin chisel. Everyones input would be awesome, Thanks

I second the "pick a project" route. A good one to try might be the step stool project from Tommy MacDonald's site (also in a recent issue of Fine Woodworking). I seem to remember SMC doesn't like us putting links to other sites in the posts so just Google for "Major League Woodworking" and you should be able to find the step stool project plans, forum entries and video podcasts.

John Keeton
07-30-2009, 7:13 AM
Or, reference this link (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117088)on the neander stool project that Adam has going here.

Billy Chambless
07-30-2009, 7:31 AM
A good approach to this is to pick a project you want to tackle with hand tools first. Based on the needs of the project, you can then figure out what tools you need to complete that project.

I think that's the best approach. Every time I see a list of "essential tools for the beginner", I find at least one item I've never had a need for.

Don't even get me started about those "Set up shop for only $10,000" articles in the magazines.

Will Hon
07-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I guess the first major project I will be working on will be a workbench, and I want to know what planes I should have properly flatten the top, and what chisels (common sizes/types/reliable brands) to cut the mortise/tenon.

Michael Faurot
07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
I guess the first major project I will be working on will be a workbench, and I want to know what planes I should have properly flatten the top . . .

A No.6 (fore) plane would be helpful here. A vintage Stanley is relatively inexpensive. You could also add a No.7 (jointer) to the mix which would help make things even flatter. But if money is tight, you could probably get away with just the No.6.

. . . and what chisels (common sizes/types/reliable brands) to cut the mortise/tenon.You can chop mortises with bench chisels (beveled edge), but a dedicated mortise chisel is better. If you don't own any chisels at all, you might want to get a set of beveled edge chisels first. If you've still got money left, then decide on the size of the mortise you're going to need to make and buy just that size mortise chisel. For most work, you typically only need a mortise chisel that is about 1/3 the thickness of the stock. So for nominal 3/4" thickness wood--you'll want a 1/4" chisel. Your bench project will likely be using thicker stock, so figure out the thickness and then you can decide what mortise chisel you need.

For beveled edge chisels, I've got a set of the Irwin/Marples (plastic blue handles) that work pretty well. A set of these is relatively inexpensive and will get you started. After you've worked with them a bit you can decide if you need something better and want to pay for it.

If you need to make larger mortises, for your bench project, some folks like to bore out the holes with a brace or drill and then clean things up with bench or paring chisels. If you go this route, you can put off shopping for mortise chisels awhile.

Rob Young
07-30-2009, 3:39 PM
Will -

By the way, you can sometimes find 4 and 5 piece sets of the Irwin blue handle chisels at Bargain Depot there on 23rd and Harper. Also a good source of inexpensive non-woodworking hand tools, sandpaper in quantity and basic finishing supplies.

Will Hon
07-30-2009, 7:29 PM
Thanks Rob, I drive by it all time, I guess i'll have to drop by!