PDA

View Full Version : Day 5 of the knife box project - PICS*

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2004, 2:37 PM
Well...I got a little more time today on the project. I took a break from working on the box today and started working on the wooden hinges. Not much progress today but I did get some. :D

1. 3/8" bullnose bit from LV and ready to make a test cut in some QSRO that I will use if I can't get the Ebony hinges to work properly. Flat side down and cutting according to the instructions with the bullnose cutting just slightly into the edge surface of the 3/8" thick board.

2. Cutting the "face side" of the hinge board to make a totally round edge for which the hinges will face each other. Gotta love those GR-Rippers! :D

3. The "end result" of the first two cuts on the QSRO board and very satisfied with the cut so I made the first two cuts on the ebony.

4. Shown here, you see that I made the cuts on BOTH sides of this board. This stuff is way too expensive to waste any.!!! :eek: :D

5. A look at the final results after I put in a 3/8" straight bit and started cutting out AWAY from the rounded hinge portion to form the "flats" where the hinges will mount/mortise into the box back. It sure is hard to take a pic of something that is as black as this ebony.!!!

One more pic in the next post.

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2004, 2:39 PM
Here is the last pic for today....as I have to leave for work in 35 minutes.

Kevin, You can call me at work today if you like. I belive you have my numbers. :D

6. Here is an "end view" of the cuts on the eboy and a not so clear look at the cut in the QSRO.

More progress will be made tomorrow after church. If I'm not ready to put this baby together on late Tuesday? I'm sunk!!!!

John Olson
09-04-2004, 5:19 PM
Now I am waiting for the next installment. I want to know what the hinge will look like. I have seen some wooden hinges, but yours seems different. Too bad you left for work all ready, I would tell you to stay home and get those hinges finished. You have to get your priorities straight. LOL

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2004, 5:23 PM
Now I am waiting for the next installment. I want to know what the hinge will look like. I have seen some wooden hinges, but yours seems different. Too bad you left for work all ready, I would tell you to stay home and get those hinges finished. You have to get your priorities straight. LOL

Tee-Hee-Hee!!!! :D

I may be at "work" but I still have time this weekend to get things done. These wooden hinges? Well....it's a simple 3/8" full bullnose router bit, the stock HAS to be 3/8" thick, Change to a 3/8" straight bit to route out more material to make the "flat" of each hing for mounting and then drilling out with a 1/8" drill bit to pin the hinges together. There are specific dimension for cutting out how the hinges will fit together and I'll show that when I make the cuts for joining the hinges. Then its a simply 1/8" brass rod as the pivot point for each hinge. BUT....your measurements have to be "right on the money" for these babies to work correctly. :eek: :D

John Olson
09-06-2004, 9:01 PM
I have my hinge just sitting here waiting. I broke out my bull nose router bit and cut a piece of wood. Now I am waiting for the next step. What happened? Did you get stuck at work by some mean boss who thought you were developing a new career?