PDA

View Full Version : Need some basic info please.

james susick
07-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey Guys Im new to your site. I need a little help with a few things with my new small shop. First I just bought my first bandsaw used. Its a 2001 General international 18" but I got no info with it. Can one of you guys tell me if manuals are still out or just give me the run down on how to adjust everything. Also I got a belsaw planer from around 1975, model 1908 or 1903 hard to read the plate. Anyone use one of these? It would be great to know pros and cons on it & how to maintain it. The unit is complete and in working order just looks like it hasnt been used in years. I paid $800 for the saw and $200 for the belsaw. One other question. Both of these are wired for 220. How do I wire a wall plug for them. I have a 220line for my welder but its a large line with a large stove type plug. I dont know too much about 220. My jet tablesaw, shaper & delta jointer are 110. Any help would be great.

This site has tons of great info.

Thanks,
Jim

Jeff Willard
07-30-2009, 7:15 AM
For the bandsaw, I would think that General would have a manual on hand, especially for one of that recent manufacture. Possibly even one accessible online. Lacking any of that, there are a number of books available that should cover most of what you need to know. The Bandsaw Handbook by Mark Duginske is the one I have. They aren't terribly complex machines.

Can't comment on the planer.

Matt Stiegler
07-30-2009, 8:00 AM
Welcome.

Not sure if this (http://www.general.ca/pg_index/manuals/90-270e.pdf)is the same model bandsaw you bought, its the only manual for an 18" bandsaw on their website. If not, email them at orderdesk@general.ca to order the manual for yours.

Good luck, sounds like you're on your way to a nice workshop.

Rod Sheridan
07-30-2009, 8:17 AM
Hi James, if you have the model 260 machine I can e-mail you a manual if you send me your e-mail address via a PM.........Thanks, Rod.

Alan Greene
07-30-2009, 9:04 AM
HI James and welcome to the Creek.

Belsaw has a web page (http://www.belsaw.com/PLpage1.html) with some manuals on it and that page also gives a phone number to call if your machine is not listed(800 468-4449). This link goes to the manual for your Bandsaw: http://www.general.ca/pg_index/manuals/90-270e.pdf. Nice hidden gloat on the bandsaw, but as is said, if there is no picture then it didn't happen.

Chip Lindley
07-30-2009, 9:30 AM
I KNOW Rod has the manual for a 260! He sent me one when I was trying to find info on that saw. I found one for $600 firm, but alas, it only has a 10" resaw capacity! : ( ALL manuals are available from General International, either on their website or by emailing for older.

As for your large 230V welder receptical (probably 50A) Make a custom extension cord to fit it with a large 50A plug on one end of a 10/2 w/g, or 10/3 flexible cord. On the other end install a female 230V plug to match what plug is on the bandsaw.

Settle on one type of connector for any future 230V machines in your shop, and any machines can be plugged into your welder outlet. I like the L6-30 twist-lock plugs for any machine up to 5hp. (look on eBay for a deal!) If you are sure you will never run a 5hp machine, use the L6-20 (up to 3hp AND much cheaper!) for every 230V machine in your shop.

james susick
07-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks Guys. I am going to check the model # then pm Rod if its the same. I think it is.

Chip I am going to do the power cord today so I can play with the Belsaw planer. My 220 line was for my old stove before I switched to gas thats why it has that plug. A guy did my welder to match many years ago.

Is it worth rewiring my shaper and tablesaw over to the 230v or not? They are both 1 1/2 jet motors (not sure who made them) The band saw is 1 1/2 as well and wired over to the 230v.

Steve Kohn
07-30-2009, 1:04 PM
Thanks Guys. I am going to check the model # then pm Rod if its the same. I think it is.

Chip I am going to do the power cord today so I can play with the Belsaw planer. My 220 line was for my old stove before I switched to gas thats why it has that plug. A guy did my welder to match many years ago.

Is it worth rewiring my shaper and tablesaw over to the 230v or not? They are both 1 1/2 jet motors (not sure who made them) The band saw is 1 1/2 as well and wired over to the 230v.

Oh no, not that debate again!