PDA

View Full Version : New TV show - "Top Woodworker" - why not?

Dan Karachio
07-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Okay, too much Top Chef Masters for sure, but I was thinking it would be fun to see so many of our gurus face off in friendly competition. From dovetails to turning to finishing, joinery, veneering... quick-saw challenges? Cosman vs. Norm vs. Marks vs. and so on.

DIY channel, you listening?

Stephen Tashiro
07-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I wonder what the total cost of the kitchens used on "Iron Chef" is. Of course a woodworking challenge would have to offer equal shops. How would the cost of shops compare to the cost of kitchens?

Rod Sheridan
07-30-2009, 9:03 AM
Okay, too much Top Chef Masters for sure, but I was thinking it would be fun to see so many of our gurus face off in friendly competition. From dovetails to turning to finishing, joinery, veneering... quick-saw challenges? Cosman vs. Norm vs. Marks vs. and so on.

DIY channel, you listening?

Thanks for ruining my appreciation of craftsmanship......Rod.

Dan Karachio
07-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Rod, sorry! Let me explain, the latest edition of Top Chef Masters has the pros competing and it is for charity. There is no backstabbing and they each seem to take the time to learn from each other and appreciate each other. Of course I am not serious about all this, but just a little starved for more video from true craftsman showing us how they do their stuff.

Carlos Alden
07-30-2009, 9:18 PM
Great idea!

How about giving out to each contestant a bad set of plans, a Harbor Freight table saw, a budget of $300 to spend at Home Depot, and a one-car garage with a washer, dryer, Dodge Minivan, and only 110 service in it. Time limit is one weekend, but they must include in that pizza and a DVD with their spouse and fixing the clogged toilet. :)

Carlos

Steve Southwood
07-30-2009, 9:46 PM
They could have the guy from the woodwrights shop be the host. All work must be done by hand.

Mitchell Andrus
07-31-2009, 8:23 AM
Great idea!

How about giving out to each contestant a bad set of plans, a Harbor Freight table saw, a budget of $300 to spend at Home Depot, and a one-car garage with a washer, dryer, Dodge Minivan, and only 110 service in it. Time limit is one weekend, but they must include in that pizza and a DVD with their spouse and fixing the clogged toilet. :)

Carlos

Now THAT'S a show I would watch!!!!

Oh, wait a minute.... Does anyone remember "Garage Makeover" - or whatever it was called?

Doug Shepard
07-31-2009, 8:34 AM
I want a TV show featuring that Village Idiot fool:eek:. There's just nothing like watching a good train wreck.:D

Rod Sheridan
07-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Norm Abram VS Roy Underhill.

They would switch shops, and the video would be on a split screen so you could watch both at once.

See Norm look for the on switch for the lathe, see Roy search every storage cupboard in the shop for a froe and maul.

See Norm use a real router, and Roy look for bandages after sharpening Norm's hand tools.

It could be fun.........Rod.

Chris Kennedy
08-03-2009, 9:55 AM
I could see a small flaw in the idea of a woodworking "quick-fire challenge." Speed and sharp tools?:eek:

Cheers,

Chris