PDA

View Full Version : laser naugahyde or vinyl covered fabric?

Lynn Kull
09-04-2004, 2:06 PM
Any one know if there is any problem with cutting naugahyde on a laser? Is vinyl covered fabric a PVC product? thanks Lynn

Chuck Burke
09-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Lynn,
I own an upholstery business ( I have been in the upholstery business for 28 years.) Vinyl is a petroleum based Plastic. It is not PVC, ( although some of the mesh type fabric are PVC).
With proper venting you should be able to cut vinyl with a laser, however I suspect that it may melt.
On Tuesday, ( Sept 7th ) I will try some in my Pinnacle 25w laser and let you know what happens. I think that mostly it will smell bad, but it will work. I'll let you know

Chuck Burke
Pacific LaZer Works

Lynn Kull
09-06-2004, 1:00 AM
Thanks Chuck, I am just leary of burning PVC and am not very aware of what all products may be made with it? thanks Lynn

Chuck Burke
09-06-2004, 1:12 AM
Lynn
You are welcome. I am sure you will be fine, but I will check. The big issue with PVC is that it is toxic when burned, vinyl does not have that problem...but like I said, I will try some in my shop on Tuesday and let you know what I find.

Chuck

George M. Perzel
09-06-2004, 7:20 AM
Hi Lynn;
Chuck is correct- lasering PVC produce chlorine gas which is toxic. In addition, the chlorine reacts with the moisture in the air to produce hydrochloric acid which is deadly on the laser components-will eat just about anything.
George

Barry Lawrensen
03-27-2020, 7:22 PM
Hi, Chuck,

What did you find with the upholstery vinyl? Can it be cut with a laser?

The specific product to not be cut is sheet PVC, and upholstery vinyl, as you point out, has very little actual PVC to it. Just wondering what you found.

Thank you.

Lynn
You are welcome. I am sure you will be fine, but I will check. The big issue with PVC is that it is toxic when burned, vinyl does not have that problem...but like I said, I will try some in my shop on Tuesday and let you know what I find.

Chuck

Bill George
03-28-2020, 6:58 AM
Barry this Thread is from 2004, that was how many years ago?????

Bert Kemp
03-29-2020, 1:03 AM
:rolleyes::D

Frederick Skelly
03-29-2020, 8:01 AM
Barry, Chuck's profile says he hasnt been here in 8 years. So don't be disappointed if he doesn't answer your question. Perhaps someone else will.