PDA

View Full Version : butternut tree

hope Novaria
07-29-2009, 9:38 PM
i have a butternut tree down.it split into two main branches.the branches are 26"diameter.is it worth trying to sell.

Brian Brown
07-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Nope, Just pack it up and ship it to me for disposal. :D Seriously, most branch wood is problematic, because of the orientation it grows. The more paralell it is to the ground, the bigger the problem. So what is the problem? Reaction wood. The wood on the bottom side of the branch is the strength that holds the top up against gravity. The top is the lazy wood that just lays there sunning itself, and doing nothing but getting fat, increasing the burden for the bottom wood doing all the structural work. When the wood is cut, the strong bottom wood that is used to pushing up the lazy wood, no longer has the weight against it, and it usually curls and bends (reacts) toward what used to be the top. How's that for a totally non technical explanation for reaction wood? It you want to see how bad it might be, just look at an end cut of the branch where you can see the complete end grain and growth rings. If the pith is off center, you are likely to have reaction wood. The farther it is off center, the worse the reaction is likely to be when it is cut. The wood is not garbage, but expect it to be more likely to crack and warp than trunk wood. That is why most lumber mills use the trunks for lumber, and the branches to sell for firewood. No experience with Butternut, but most woods seem to react this way. There could be some good turnning wood here, but remember the increased likelyhood of cracking! IF you turn it, you will likely have the best results with the area from the top of the branch. YMMV. Good Luck.

Jeff Nicol
07-30-2009, 6:15 AM
Hope, I have tons of Butternut, some is old and wormy and some is fresh and wonderful! The thing about butternut is that is is pretty stable and will not react as bad as other woods. I use all the wood from trees that are hard to find like Butternut, especially a large one! When you say two large branches, do you mean like 2 separate trees branching out of a single trunk like a big pair of legs? If so it is like 2 trees in one! Post a picture and show us the big old thing! Put an add in Craiglist or in local wood working stores to see if there is some interest. Like I said it is one of a carvers favorite woods for it's grain and stability.

Good luck,

Jeff

Reed Gray
07-30-2009, 9:54 AM
Personally, I love reaction wood. I love it when my green bowls warp. I have only gotten one Butternut tree (at the time it came down, it was tied for largest in N America, 8 ft diameter trunk, 21 ft circumference), and loved it. The growth rings, especially on branches runs in scallops rather than straight circles, and looks like spider webs. Smells like vinegar, tends to be a bit stringy, and the wonderful brown color helps it sell well. If you were close enough for me to drive to, I would get as much as I could load into my 3/4 ton cargo van.

robo hippy

hope Novaria
07-30-2009, 5:02 PM
Yes,The base is 13' around and 5' tall splits in two and goes up slightly angled away from each other.They are about 30' long and relatively straight.I understand woodworkers like working with this in chunks of 20".The big stump is still standing and I would love to have something carved out of it.I'LL try and get some pictures out in a day or two.I'm in south eastern ohio.

John W Dixon
07-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Nope, Just pack it up and ship it to me for disposal. :D Seriously, most branch wood is problematic, because of the orientation it grows. The more paralell it is to the ground, the bigger the problem. So what is the problem? Reaction wood. The wood on the bottom side of the branch is the strength that holds the top up against gravity. The top is the lazy wood that just lays there sunning itself, and doing nothing but getting fat, increasing the burden for the bottom wood doing all the structural work. When the wood is cut, the strong bottom wood that is used to pushing up the lazy wood, no longer has the weight against it, and it usually curls and bends (reacts) toward what used to be the top. How's that for a totally non technical explanation for reaction wood? It you want to see how bad it might be, just look at an end cut of the branch where you can see the complete end grain and growth rings. If the pith is off center, you are likely to have reaction wood. The farther it is off center, the worse the reaction is likely to be when it is cut. The wood is not garbage, but expect it to be more likely to crack and warp than trunk wood. That is why most lumber mills use the trunks for lumber, and the branches to sell for firewood. No experience with Butternut, but most woods seem to react this way. There could be some good turnning wood here, but remember the increased likelyhood of cracking! IF you turn it, you will likely have the best results with the area from the top of the branch. YMMV. Good Luck.

What a great explanation! Thanks!

John

neil mackay
07-31-2009, 12:06 AM
What a great explanation! Thanks!

ditto! very good :)