PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl

Curt Fuller
07-29-2009, 9:30 PM
This is just a plain walnut bowl, 9.5" x 2.5". But if you look at the right side of the bowl you can see where I filled a crack with some epoxy/charcoal mixture. Before doing that I was shaping the rim of the bowl and just felt it with my thumb to feel the curve. That little split in the wood drove a toothpick diameter sliver into my thumb about 3/8". I thought I had it out but it kept hurting and was getting infected. Tonight my wife dug out the rest of the sliver while I screamed like a little girl. So I guess this is one of those lessons we pass along about what you do and don't do with you hands and fingers while the wood is spinning.

Wayne Leach
07-29-2009, 9:44 PM
Curt,
Very nice workmanship on this lovely bowl. Walnut is such a beautiful wood that it stands on its own merit.
Too bad about getting stuck by a 2x4 splinter!
Oh and by the way, man up and stop screaming like a little girl (at least do it where no one can hear you)LOL
Wayne

Ken Glass
07-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Curt,
There is nothing plain about this Walnut bowl. It has a very pleasing form that I really like. The finish looks really nice and you blended the filler into the bowl exceptionally well. I really like this one a lot. Very well done. I hope your thumb stops hurting soon, but with Walnut it will probably be later than sooner. I get the same thing when I turn Walnut.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Great looking bowl Curt. Really nice form and finish. I hate walnut slivers. The dang things take a while to heal. Keep it clean.

alex carey
07-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Yowza, sounds painful, at least its a pretty bowl.

Barry Stratton
07-29-2009, 11:40 PM
I really like the "hefty" appearance of this one, girly man......;):p:D

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Curt - I hope your boo-boo heals real quick!

Great looking bowl! Pretty wood with lots of color variations! Great form and finish but the way you turned the rim really makes the bowl for me! Nice work - as always!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-30-2009, 12:51 AM
NOT "just a plain bowl" Curt, but a very nice one:), I love that soft glow of the wood, and that curved rim really sets it apart, well done ;-))
And about that sliver, well never happens here ;), ---------ya right :rolleyes:, anyway keep an eye on that wound, darn Walnut could give you trouble and start festering:eek:.