PDA

View Full Version : Tormek Bench Grinder Mount - BGM-100

Jim McFarland
07-29-2009, 9:15 PM
Summary:

Highly recommended if you prefer to sharpen on a Tormek, you already have a bench grinder and you want to save time shaping tool grinds. If you have a Wolverine or similar (or freehand sharpen) and are happy with grinder shaping/sharpening then I doubt the BGM-100 offers any value to you.

The reason I bought it:

I worked 45 minutes on the Tormek using a new SB-250 stone trying to re-shape a new Lacer 5/8" skew. I wanted a radius grind using standard TTS-100/SVS-50 settings. I gave up when it seemed I was about 50% done. I saw the BGM-100 info on the Tormek site, purchased and installed on my Woodcraft slow speed grinder. I re-shaped the skew on the grinder in about 5 minutes. My grinder and Tormek wheels are a different diameter so I spent another 10 minutes finish sharpening on the Tormek. In my experience, future sharpenings will only take a couple of minutes with standard TTS-100 and SVS-50 settings (TTS hole B, SVS-50 30*, P=65mm). I'm happy!

More info if you haven't drifted off yet:

To be clear, I am a newbie turner so take these comments in that context:

Pros:

Fast re-shaping using your normal Tormek jigs (45 minutes + as I never finished on the Lacer skew down to 15 minutes total (5 on grinder, another 10 on Tormek))
Typical Tormek excellent fit & finish
30 minute installation for me because I already had my grinder on a platform -- I did have to shift the grinder to the left 45 mm to accommodate the mount. I did study the illustrations/diagrams for several minutes prior to install, so call it 45 minutes total (see instructions con comment below)
Cons:

A bit pricey at ~$57, but that does include a tool rest/universal support (US-105 - $38 value) and anyone using a Tormek knows the benefit of an extra tool support arm!
Instructions are a bit spotty, but the diagrams/dimensions are reasonably clear. I had to derive the location of mount relative to the front of the grinder (example diagram had it on the edge of an 8" platform for an 8" grinder so not that tough to figure out).
Not all Tormek jigs are supported (probably something to do with grinder wheels normally shrouded in a cover) but all those I use for turning tools are: TTS-100, SVD-185 (swept-back gouge jig), SVS-50 (skews and straight gouges) and SVD-110 (tool rest for scrapers)
Neutral:

Not sure the best way to get the grinder wheel dressed parallel to the support bar -- I use a LV single point diamond dresser so I just put it in an older SVH-60 straight edge jig to dress the wheel. I thought about using the Tormek truing tool, but (a) I didn't want to risk ruining the truing tool using on the much higher speed grinder and (b) almost no room for support arm adjusting nut movement in this application. The BGM-100 manual recommends a standard diamond wheel dresser but I don't have one!
Some photos of the setup and feel free to ask any questions (but remember, I am a newbie!). I bought mine from Jeff Farris' sharptoolsusa online store.

David Walser
07-29-2009, 9:28 PM
I ordered mine at the local Woodcraft (taking advantage of their 15% off sale) last Saturday. It's not arrived yet.

Chris Stolicky
07-29-2009, 9:31 PM
Thanks for the review.

I have been eyeing that setup.

It does take a looooong time to shape tools on the wet stone. But I sure do like the edge you get from it when you're done.

Alan Trout
07-29-2009, 9:39 PM
Looks nice. I have been thinking about one when I get some spare cash. It would be nice for initial shaping of tools.

Alan

Jim McFarland
07-29-2009, 9:47 PM
Looks nice. I have been thinking about one when I get some spare cash. It would be nice for initial shaping of tools.

Alan

You could probably make do just buying the mount (XB-100) for $23 if you don't need the extra tool rest/support. Instructions/diagrams are also on the Tormek USA web-site. I don't know it's identical but sure looks like it from the photos. I wanted the extra tool rest so the BGM-100 kit is a better value for both.

Horizontal mount: http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=19&category_id=79ef8be0a3ed8d97dfd5037ba9c46345

Ryan Baker
07-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the review and pictures. I was thinking about that addition. Having seen your pictures, and some others recently posted here, I have some thoughts about a design to hold the Tormek support that would work a lot better for my system. Something else to mess with. As mentioned, it would be really handy for initial rough shaping of tools.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks Jim for the write up. I was thinking about getting on and now I think I will take the plunge.

Alan Trout
07-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Jim,

I have a question for you. Do you think if you had the BGM100 before the SB250 you will still have gotten the SB250?

The reason I ask the one reason I thought about getting the "Black Stone" was for shaping but if the BGM 100 takes care of that for the most part, I will get that first.

Thanks,

Alan

Rasmus Petersen
07-30-2009, 1:00 AM
I have the black stone, and wouldent be without! itīs one of the bedst investmenst i have ever made. I will proberbly get the addition for my bech grinder (in time) but when i have the need to either complete resharpe a skew aften banging it into the concret floor, or when itīs brand new i rough freehand it on the dry wheel, change to the tormek, get some lines on there to work from and then back to the dry wheel.

Thanks for the review

Jim McFarland
07-30-2009, 9:34 AM
Jim,

I have a question for you. Do you think if you had the BGM100 before the SB250 you will still have gotten the SB250?

The reason I ask the one reason I thought about getting the "Black Stone" was for shaping but if the BGM 100 takes care of that for the most part, I will get that first.

Thanks,

Alan

Good question, Alan -- and no -- I probably would have passed on the SB-250 if I had the BGM-100 first.

I don't regret buying the blackstone as it does seem to cut a bit faster and so far it is much more resistant to "grooving" (I tend to get heavy-handed when sharpening). I can say it does not compete with the bench grinder for shaping.

Alan Trout
07-30-2009, 9:43 AM
Jim,

Thanks, that was what I was wondering and what I thought. I may get a Blackstone later but for now it will be BGM100.

Alan

Kyle Iwamoto
07-31-2009, 11:57 AM
INteresting. At 57 bucks, even if I need to buy a grinder, which I don't have because I have the Tormek, it would be cheaper than the blackstone. Sigh, more tools I HAVE to buy....

Jim McFarland
07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
INteresting. At 57 bucks, even if I need to buy a grinder, which I don't have because I have the Tormek, it would be cheaper than the blackstone. Sigh, more tools I HAVE to buy....

Kyle, Rasmus' technique of free-handing on the grinder after making some pattern marks on the Tormek is great, too -- saves you $57 if you have skill with the grinder -- I don't, so worth $57 to save a lot of frustration!

Kyle Iwamoto
07-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Jim, I have NO skill. That's why I have the Tormek.... LOL

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2009, 1:52 PM
Jim ordered mine today.

Phillip Bogle
08-01-2009, 5:09 AM
Jim: I have the same set up you do and I am getting the BGM-100 tomorrow. I was curious why you did not get the Veritas skew jig that goes with the Veritas base you have? I bought both and my Lacer Skews are done to perfection. One other point, when you sharpen on the Tormek move the rest to the upright position so that the edge is facing into the stone rotation, and the shaping is faster, not that it matters now. My next buy is the Japanese waterstone for the Tormek. I have several options for shaping, but the waterstone puts a honed mirror edge that is near impossible to match.

Thanks for the write up, your sharing really helps.

Toney Robertson
08-01-2009, 6:36 AM
Jim: I have the same set up you do and I am getting the BGM-100 tomorrow. I was curious why you did not get the Veritas skew jig that goes with the Veritas base you have? I bought both and my Lacer Skews are done to perfection. One other point, when you sharpen on the Tormek move the rest to the upright position so that the edge is facing into the stone rotation, and the shaping is faster, not that it matters now. My next buy is the Japanese waterstone for the Tormek. I have several options for shaping, but the waterstone puts a honed mirror edge that is near impossible to match.

Phillip,

How much of a hassle is it to change wheels on the Tormek? I have not had mine long and have never tried to change out a wheel.

When using the waterstone do you first sharpen on the regular stone and then go to the WS?

Thanks,

Toney

Jim McFarland
08-01-2009, 10:23 AM

Phillip, if you're talking about LV 05N13.01 -- I've never noticed it before. Looks like it would do a radius grind on a skew just fine using a grinder. I like the radius grind I get using the Tormek so no reason for me to change other than takes a long time to re-shape. Tormek grinder mount solves that problem now.

Sorry I didn't specify in my original post but I was grinding in the vertical position with the stone running into the tool when trying to re-shape the skew. Maybe I'm doing something else wrong but still painfully slow in my experience. Edit to add: I also used the stone grader frequently to ensure no glazing and I even refreshed the stone with the truing point a couple of times (grooves the stone and makes it the most aggressive for a time).

William Payer
08-01-2009, 1:45 PM
Thanks for the original post and photos. It lloks like something I will be getting. I have both a Tormek and a Wolverine jig on my grinder and would rather do rough shaping on the grinder. Unfortunately, I have difficulty getting the same grind profile on both the Wolverine and Tormek. Now the BGM-100 seems like a nice way to get continuity (read waste less tool steel) between them.