PDA

View Full Version : Hollow form interior sander

Steve Frederick
07-29-2009, 8:54 PM
I made a simple sander to get to the bottom of hollow forms.
I took a spade bit extension and cut it down to about 6". I made a holder for the extension be drilling a piece of cold rolled and drilling/tapping for set screws, I made a second extension with a bent end. I can use any power sanding disk holder that will fit a 1/4" chuck. The handle is Poplar from the BORG.
(Mr Schlumpf and company, have me hooked on HF's.. Seems that's all I turn lately!)

Wayne Leach
07-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Good idea Steve, I have downloaded the pic for future reference when I get around to doing HF.
Thanks for sharing,
Wayne

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Steve - they look like they should work great! I have a 6" bit extender that I used for a long time with 2" sanding disks. Problem I have now is that I have been turning much smaller openings on the hollow forms and none of my sanding supplies can get to the inside! So... I leave them 'natural' and go turn the next one!

Chris Rae
07-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Great idea Steve. It looks like it should work real well.

Jeff Bower
07-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Steve - they look like they should work great! I have a 6" bit extender that I used for a long time with 2" sanding disks. Problem I have now is that I have been turning much smaller openings on the hollow forms and none of my sanding supplies can get to the inside! So... I leave them 'natural' and go turn the next one!

Steve, I just picked up one of these (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96785)...CA's some velcro to one of the pads, put it in the extender and us it for smaller openings..

BTW if the link is a no, no, the item number is 96785-1VGA at Harbor Frieght. (saved the mods some editing if needed :D)

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Jeff - appreciate the link! Looks like it would work great!

neil mackay
07-31-2009, 12:04 AM
All I did was to get a spare 2" pad and reduce the diameter on the linisher to the size i needed. Had to grind away the metal disc at the base on the grinder as well. Now I have a 3/4"dia sanding pad on a 8" extender bar, works well