PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Doin's...

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Well, All ya'll (plural from of Ya'll...ya know) know what I'm up to this weekend. Let me know what you have planned for this weekend. It's a long weekend ya know. ;)

Jim Becker
09-04-2004, 10:55 AM
A very long weekend...through Tuesday for me. After three weeks straight being out of town, I needed a few days to unwind and play so I started yesterday. As to what I'm doing...see the thread about my shop reconfiguration. I'll also be mowing the lawn, watching two DVD movies, eating lots of good food and fretting about friends and family in Florida. Oh, I'll likely play with Dr. SWMBO's new tool. :D (see OT Forum)

Waymon Campbell
09-04-2004, 11:12 AM
I will have two solid days of shop time (yippeeee). Plan to put together my Delta bench top mortiser that I'll need for my upcoming church table project, need to make a couple of drawers for a friend at work, give my new EB-3 a thorough workout, and finally prep some stock for the church table. Sunday we will have the grandson over for church and some outdoor fun afterwards. All in all should be a very satisfying weekend. :) And now, off to the shop...have a great weekend all.

Tyler Howell
09-04-2004, 1:13 PM
Playing with the toyls. Moving some old Cman stuff out to make room for upgrades, past present and future.:cool: Creeker visit is planned and doing some research on the first (to my knowledge) Minneapple SMC get together.

Dr Daughter is in town and I just shooed the baby off to school.

Battling with an aging parent, trying to provide respect, and dignity as some privileges and freedoms are being surrendered. (had to take the car today). :( Asked for a impartial third party to evaluate her skills and that didn't go over very well.:o

Have a great weekend. You hard workers have earned it.;)

Larry Browning
09-04-2004, 1:38 PM
I will be installing my new IR SS3L3 compressor (Gloat) after working all morning(at the paying job). I will be bolting this puppy down to the concrete floor. Does anyone have some advice as to how to do this? I figure some concrete bolts. How hard is it to drill those holes without a hammer drill?
Hopfully I will have some pics before the day is out.
Wish me luck :D

Tyler,
I know what your are going through. We had to do the same with my mom about 2 years ago. She is now in a nursing home and we just made the the difficult decision to NOT have a feeding tube installed. This was her wish while she still could make her own decisions. But even though I know this is what she wanted, it is still hard, knowing it will speed up her passing.

Larry

Jim Becker
09-04-2004, 2:16 PM
I will be installing my new IR SS3L3 compressor (Gloat) after working all morning(at the paying job). I will be bolting this puppy down to the concrete floor. Does anyone have some advice as to how to do this? I figure some concrete bolts. How hard is it to drill those holes without a hammer drill?
Hopfully I will have some pics before the day is out.I just used my ordinary, cheap corded B&D drill that I've had for many years. (Usually dedicated to pocket screw duties) Drilled holes with a masonary bit; put in anchors/threaded studs and after placing a rubber matt over everything, placed the compressor and bolted it down.

HINT: Be sure you deal with extending the drain at the bottom before you bolt that sucker down! You CANNOT get your hand under the compressor to do that once it's fastened in place. DAMHIKT!!

Tyler Howell
09-04-2004, 2:18 PM
That's some tough stuff Larry but doable. Problem I run into with out the right stuff is the hole can end up oversized, even with expanding concrete bolts. If you have a little mini DP or make a drill guide so you got complete control over your work. Don't forget your PPE!;)

Thanks for the thoughts Larry, nothing has prepared me for this.:o

Kelly C. Hanna
09-04-2004, 3:23 PM
If you are close to an HD or Lowe's that has a rental, go rent a rotary hammer. Doing 3/8"-1/2" dia. holes with anything else can be tough. The Bosch RH I have cuts the hole 4" deep in less than 45 seconds. I use redheads (1/2" concrete wedge anchors...not the sleeves) and they'll hold anything down, Together with Jim's method of rubber matting, you'll be set!

Kelly C. Hanna
09-04-2004, 3:29 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to tell ya what I'm doin'...

Shop cleanup and reorganize last night and this morning, (new duals and turbo mufflers on the truck early this morning), Pool party this afternoon, karaoke with the wife and friends tonite (nope I don't sing!).

Tomorrow I help out a car club member by cutting and assembling subwoofer speaker boxes for his '69 Suburban in the shop (so's I can get more sawdust in there :D), then a quiet nite with a movie or two.

Monday it's back to work!!

Dick Parr
09-04-2004, 3:41 PM
I bought a new steel entrance door a couple of weeks ago for the garage and have installed it today with the help of a neighbor. That just finished up the last item on my to do list on this house. :D In the last 15 years living here we have replaced everything that can be replaced and updated. :D :D

I had planned on doing some turning this weekend but after today, I think I will be spending most of the time in the hot tub and just relaxing. :( :)

Everyone have a fun and safe holiday.

Michael Stafford
09-04-2004, 4:42 PM
I am continuing to work on my son's tool chest. Maybe another week or two and it will be finished. That will be the last of my major Christmas presents. We are also checking on the father-in-law, 91 and in Pompano Beach,FL. He refused to leave so wife is keeping an open line. Hope everyone fares well down there.

Earl Reid
09-04-2004, 5:06 PM
We went to the Great Geauga County Fair yesterday and had a good time. We met some old time friends and the usual polititions. I had a nice visit with Ernie Conover, He does woodworking every year at the fair. He is going to give me some wood for pen blanks. This is the oldest fair in Ohio. I didn't have anything entered this year. I have won several blue ribbons and 2 best of show.
I also have started on 3 shadow boxes for navy retirements.

I know first hand what Tyler is going through. some times there are hard decisions to make.
Earl

Tim Morton
09-04-2004, 5:12 PM
Finsished up the framing in my basement and now I plan on taking it easy the rest of the weekend...might run the electrical outlets tomorrow, but thats about as much as I feel like doing on such a beautiful weekend. Off to jump in the pool and mourn the Red Sox loss.

Bob Flemming
09-04-2004, 7:32 PM
Hi Everyone, my first reply here. I drilled concrete for many years with my cheap B&D 3/8 drill. I learned to drill twice. First a small diamiter hole followed by the final size I needed.

Hope I'm doing this right.

Dick Parr
09-04-2004, 7:32 PM
Earl you are right about the Geauga County Fair being great. I use to work there as a kid just to get on all the rides free. Some of the best times in my life. I haven't been there in over 40 years.

Thanks for bring back old memories. ;)

Steve Clardy
09-04-2004, 8:19 PM
Hi Everyone, my first reply here. I drilled concrete for many years with my cheap B&D 3/8 drill. I learned to drill twice. First a small diamiter hole followed by the final size I needed.

Welcome to the creek Bob.:) Be sure and post pics of your projects, or the PIC PATROL will be on ya.:eek: Lol

Steve

Dick Parr
09-04-2004, 8:24 PM
Welcome to the Creek Bob.

Steve Clardy
09-04-2004, 8:27 PM
Piddling with this lamanited boat table.:( Finally had to make a jig to route in these butler hinges, the hard way.:( Oh well-----it's about done thankfully.
Been mowing the weeds down this afternoon on the back 31. Horses are complaining.:( Probably do some more tomorrow after I finish the table up.
Also need to adjust the drivers side window in the crown vic. Not rolling up correctly.:o Just got it out of the body shop after a deer decided I needed to spend 1320.00 on it.:eek: Damaged left front fender, wiped out drivers door, damaged rear door. Broke windshield. Got er back in shape though, had a good body man on it. Looks like new on that side again.:D

Tyler, sorry about your woes. Think I'll be going through that soon.
Steve

Tyler Howell
09-04-2004, 8:31 PM
Welcome Bob We welcome our WW brothers and sisters to the East.

I'm not even going to say anything about pictures or cheese. :rolleyes:
Glad to have you in the Creek.;)

Dan Mages
09-04-2004, 8:33 PM
I will hopefully finish the framing on my gardening workshop. Its too nice to be called a shed. I will spare the details since I posted it in another weekend doins thread.

Dan

Oh, and I have an amazing bottle of Arrogant B*stard Ale sitting in the fridge. :cool:

Larry Browning
09-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Well, I almost got the compressor installed. I drilled the concrete using a new Botch 3/8 concrete bit in my old 1/2 skill drill. I had to apply quite a bit of pressure, but got the job done. I've done tougher things in my life, but I was pretty red faced when done. Anyway, I managed to get the thing bolted to the floor. I installed some 1/4 inch pipe replacing the pitcock condensation valve and added a ball valve on the end of that. I'm not sure how to finish this out yet, but I'll think of something. The snag that kept me from finishing was the wiring. When the shop was built, I planned on adding a new compressor so I had 220 available, so no problems there. I went to HD and got some 10/3 wire to run from the wall box to the switch on the compressor. After struggling for an hour trying to bend that VERY stiff wire into place I gave up. tomorrow I will be heading back to HD and get me some 12/3 stranded wire and attach those clip connectors on the ends and get it hooked up right. Anyway I got to spend a whole half day in the shop :) It's all good.

Here are a couple of pics. Any sugestions as to how to finish out the condensation drain?

Terry Hatfield
09-04-2004, 10:42 PM
d,

Well...it seems that there are thesse people that just insist on coming over to my house in a couple of weeks so I'm bustin' my hump trying to get the joint in order. :D

Oh ya...I also got the last of the finish on my computer station tonite so I'll be movin' into my fine new office Monday!!! yipppeeee!!!! :D

Everyone have a safe one,

Terry

Waymon Campbell
09-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Larry - Look'in good. Where did you get the compressor from?

Larry Browning
09-05-2004, 8:42 AM
Larry - Look'in good. Where did you get the compressor from?
I got it at Graingers. I get a pretty good discount through work.
I think I paid $499.

Larry

Mike Cutler
09-05-2004, 9:07 AM
I'll be "tuning up" the 224 M&T joints that have to go together like a chinese puzzle for the library shelves.Welcome to the Creek Bob.
Hey Larry, is that the final resting spot for that air-banger? I'm not sure what you mean by finishing out the low point drain, what you have will work fine. I'd probably put a PVC pipe plug in the end to keeb debris out tho'
Hope everybody has a good weekend, and Dennis doesn't go crosseyed blind from that Knife box project. I love the Day.... update format Dennis.

Jerry Todd
09-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Spent the weekend getting ready for Frances. Turned off all the electric in the Workshop and even unplugged each tool. Brought all the "outside stuff" into the garage. What a way to celebrate my 61st birthday! The good news; where I live we expect only "Tropical force" winds. The last I heard from my sons in the Jupiter area were that they are fine but the winds were around 100 mph.
Jerry

Kelly C. Hanna
09-05-2004, 10:16 AM
I hope you and everyone in it's path get through safely without too much damage!!

John Miliunas
09-05-2004, 11:37 AM

Yeeeee-haw!!! Another Cheesehead joins the ranks of SMC! :D Welcome my fellow Wisconsinite! I'll harass you about pics, but we already *KNOW* where the best cheese is made, so why bother about that, right?! :D You'll find the Creek to be a swell place to hang your hat. Lots of good times, with great people, all sharing the common love and interest of WW! Hey, we even have a few "Flatlanders" over here, who happen to be quite hospitable and I've had the pleasure of meeting a couple of our MN brethren, as well! That in itself should prove that this is THE place to be! Come often, stay long and yeah, don't forget to post pics! :D :cool:

Jim Ketron
09-05-2004, 2:01 PM
working on getting the insulation installed I have almost have of it done (I hate Insulation):( But I do have the AC going:D Hope to get some of my woodworking tools in there by Monday and start making some sawdust!!:D :D
First project is the 20 FPP that I need to get done Then start building some stations for my tools and a workbench.
Jim

Larry Browning
09-05-2004, 4:35 PM
Well I finally got the right wire for the job and got juice to the compressor. Fired it up and what'll know, it worked great!. I did come up with a way to finish out the condensation drain. I just added a 3ft piece of air hose I had lying around and a coffee can to catch the water. Simple, but I'll bet it works. Anybody got a better idea?

Tony Falotico
09-05-2004, 5:11 PM
What a way to celebrate my 61st birthday! Jerry

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY
WISH YOU MANY MANY MORE TO FOLLOW

Hope your boys are OK, We spoke with MIL in Jupiter and they got hit pretty hard.
My sister lives in Jupiter but they bailed out for the west coast.

Greg Heppeard
09-05-2004, 5:47 PM
but we already *KNOW* where the best cheese is made, so why bother about that, right?! :D :

So, you've been to Wapakoneta, Ohio??? :D

Steve Clardy
09-05-2004, 7:11 PM
Well I finally got the right wire for the job and got juice to the compressor. Fired it up and what'll know, it worked great!. I did come up with a way to finish out the condensation drain. I just added a 3ft piece of air hose I had lying around and a coffee can to catch the water. Simple, but I'll bet it works. Anybody got a better idea?
Looking good Larry. How about turning that elbow to the side, and using more of a flat type pan instead of the can. You are low to the ground there. My compressor still sits on the 2x4 crate it was shipped with, so have more clearance under it for a drain pan. But I now have a hose on it, pointed out under the garage door.
It isn't bolted down either. Skid keeps it in place.
Steve