PDA

View Full Version : Pig Skin

Steve Clarkson
07-29-2009, 7:36 PM
I picked up a small piece of pig skin at Tandy today.....I was trying to find a very thin leather that was light colored. It's perfect for what I need it for, but now I'm having trouble engraving it.

My first test came out great.....100s 30p 600dpi.....it was a small logo with ALOT of black areas in it.

Then I tried to engrave a photo.....and it went down hill from there. I put Johnsons Paste Wax on it like Mike recommended....even tried totally soaking it in water....but it keeps burning up, rolling up and wrinkling. Any suggestions on how to stop this? 100s 20p is too hot and 100s 15p doesn't give it any detail.

Frank Corker
07-29-2009, 8:20 PM
I'll give you some advice, beware of swine flu!

Mike Null
07-29-2009, 8:30 PM
Steve

I've had good results only with cowhide. I think pigskin is too thin and if you succeed in getting a good mark you will burn the skin making it brittle.

Steven Wallace
07-30-2009, 4:35 AM
Steve,

I too do a lot of cowhide from Tandy. I get good markings. When I am looking for supple hides, I use calf skin. Not as flexible as Pigskin but still very nice. I use them for the money clips that I make and then hand stitch the outside and liner together with magnets inside to hold the money in place. I have done photos on it with very nice results. As for Frank's comment, I would watch it I hear that they are saaving the vaccine for the young and elderly. I believe you are somewhere in between and shouldn't risk the piggy flu.:)

Yes, I sew but I don't do windows. Just another thing I learned while in the service to my country as a sailor. I am sure you all have special talents too!

Steve Clarkson
07-30-2009, 8:01 AM
Thanks guys......that's what I thought. I saw the calf skin there and it is nice....almost bought it.

Nice job on the sewing Steven.....wish I could sew like that!

Mike Christen
07-30-2009, 8:12 AM
I'll give you some advice, beware of swine flu!

As long as it wasn't a flying pig you should be ok

Dan Hintz
07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Steve,

Can you slow it down and reduce the power, say 50S/10P... you may be putting so much heat into it over such a large area it's shrinking as if you put it in the oven.

Brian Robison
07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about football.
I'll get me coat.

Steve Clarkson
07-30-2009, 1:12 PM
Steve,

Can you slow it down and reduce the power, say 50S/10P... you may be putting so much heat into it over such a large area it's shrinking as if you put it in the oven.

Too late Dan.....I already ruined it all........

Steven Wallace
07-30-2009, 1:23 PM
Steve. it is very simple as I let the laser cut the holes so that they are very uniform.

Scott Challoner
07-30-2009, 1:41 PM
Too late Dan.....I already ruined it all........

Fried pork rinds anyone? :p

Mark Ross
07-30-2009, 2:01 PM
When I first saw pigskin at Tandy...I swear to God, the first thought that popped into my mind was "Since when does Radio Shack sell footballs?"

I must have a leak on our exhaust system...:)

Steven Wallace
07-30-2009, 2:08 PM
I was ready to post this picture

Ryan Pridgeon
07-30-2009, 4:30 PM
When I'm rastering or cutting think leather I mask it first. From my experience the mask seems to soak up some of the heat. I usually raster 8-9 ounce leather but the think stuff can be done.

Belinda Barfield
07-30-2009, 4:57 PM
Fried pork rinds anyone? :p

Rats, Scott beat me to it! I have to ask Steve, how good did that pig skin smell? Geez, now I'm craving pork rinds!

Tom Delaney
07-30-2009, 5:39 PM
Steve - I went out and invested in a few of those wooden cross-stitch thingies (Michaels has them from a few inches to 18") and I lock all the leather into those before I start anything - otherwise it rolls up like the deep sea scroll and smells like them too. The jigs take care of the rolling - I'm going to try vicks under my nose for the smell next time (old EMS trick for those homes you really don't want to enter!)

Steve Clarkson
07-30-2009, 6:12 PM
Great idea Tom!!!!!!!

Curt Stallings
07-30-2009, 9:16 PM
Steve, did you try a lower resolution like 300 dpi.?

Curt

Andrea Weissenseel
07-31-2009, 4:14 AM
Steve, I once did very thin calf and it worked out very good, cutting as well as engraving. Maybe the difference was that I has a larger piece where to logo was in the center. But no curling or anything at the cut etches or engraving area. I used 300dpi - 100 Power and 35 Speed for the engraving, and you even see gray shading

Belinda, when I cut calf it somehow smells like cow on the grill :D

Connie Klug
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
I burn pig skin a lot, but I use it as a liner so it is glued to another piece of leather, which keeps it from rolling up. I usually burn at 100s 17p. might try some double stick tape .

Steve Clarkson
07-31-2009, 3:16 PM
I think next time I'll try using a bigger piece and either the tape or the cross stitch thing,

I did try all different dpi's too....150-1200 with varying powers......it was the curling that caused the problem though....not necessarily the burning.

It did cut beautifully at 100s 20p,

Andrea Weissenseel
07-31-2009, 3:54 PM
depends on what you wanna do with it, if you use a small piece of leather and want to fix it to something else later, you could put some double sided adhasive tape to the back, leave the protective film on, and cut through the tape also - that way you don't have to worry about curling or the shape of the tape