PDA

View Full Version : First stopper?

Jack Mincey
07-29-2009, 7:18 PM
I've got boxes of short pieces of Cocobolo and other woods left from making my crow calls so I have been thinking of giving making stoppers a try. It will be a great way to use this wood and should make me a little money at the same time. This is my first try, I tried to make it look like a drop of liquid. It is diamond wood buffed with no finish. Critique's welcome. I put the end down into an empty shell case for the photo.
Jack
http://usera.ImageCave.com/flyrod444/100_1457.JPG

Richard Madison
07-29-2009, 7:29 PM
Looks good Jack. Some customers might be put off by the pointy end but others will like the shape.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2009, 8:53 PM
Boy that is a nice one Jack. After my first one I try not to put a point on the top. The guy bought it but says the point is a pain.

Brian Novotny
07-29-2009, 9:17 PM
drop of liquid eh?

LOVE IT!

Keep the point and advertise them on ebay using "grateful dead" as a keyword. They like to drink wine and they'll get the point.:cool:

gary Zimmel
07-29-2009, 9:46 PM
Nice looking stopper Jack.

Quick question if I may.
How tall is the stopper?

Wayne Leach
07-29-2009, 9:49 PM
Jack,
I like the color effect of the woods but am not partial to the pointy top. Nice work on the stopper though.
Wayne

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Jack...that's a beauty of a first stopper! They are quick, easy and sell well around here.

alex carey
07-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Looks good, nice color.

I always liked the top, didn't even know people couldn't like it.

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Great looking stopper Jack! That's quite the sanding job as you sure have some reflection on the wood - considering you don't have any finish on it! Or is that how it comes off the Skew for you?

Seriously - really nice stopper and have to believe they would have no problems selling!

Jack Mincey
07-30-2009, 5:25 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I have a number of other designs sketched out that aren't sharp on the top. I watched a video of Nick Cook a few years ago on making stoppers and other items. He said on the video that the sharp top design he makes is his best seller, so I wanted to try one too. For finish on the diamond wood I just went through the micro mesh pads I have for pens and buffed it with white diamond. Diamond wood buffs up like just like plastic. I've used crow calls for a few years now without finish and they look great.
Thanks Again,
Jack