PDA

View Full Version : See this about Shiraz Balolia, Grizzly tools.

Dave Lehnert
07-29-2009, 3:56 PM
Interesting info about Shiraz Balolia

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Sharp+Shootin+Shiraz.aspx

Matt Sollars
07-29-2009, 4:17 PM
.....we may want to watch how we word our customer service complaints to Grizzly in the future.....

Steve Rozmiarek
07-29-2009, 4:28 PM
Well shoot, that changes my opinion of Griz a little bit. I may actually buy something now! Thats quite an acheivment to get to that level.

Greg Cole
07-29-2009, 4:50 PM
Neat stuff there.
And I think 200 yards is a long shot at a deer.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2009, 5:38 PM
As a former rifle benchrest shooter and official and a former pistol silhouette competitor, I can appreciate his accomplishments! That is cool!

Jim O'Dell
07-29-2009, 7:13 PM
That is cool! I know a guy that used to compete, but I think his was a longer distance bigger, target. I remember him talking about the price of his gun. I think it was right up there with the price of my last vehicle!! But somehow I expected Shiraz to be a little larger in stature than the picture makes him look (picture could be deceiving). Maybe it's just the "Grizzly" concept in my mind. :rolleyes: You think he prints out pages from the forums and puts them up as targets?? :D:D Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-29-2009, 8:39 PM
:rolleyes: You think he prints out pages from the forums and puts them up as targets?? :D:D Jim.

Just the avatars of the complainers, whiners etc......:rolleyes:

curtis rosche
07-29-2009, 9:01 PM
think his gun stock was milled with his onw brand of tools?

Doug Shepard
07-29-2009, 9:06 PM
.....we may want to watch how we word our customer service complaints to Grizzly in the future.....

Yeah.
Do ya feel lucky punk? Well do ya?:D

Butch Edwards
07-29-2009, 9:11 PM
...not to diminish his accomplishments, as they are impressive, but we fired worn out M-16s out to 500 meters to qualify...so using custom rifles, and fancy tri/bi-pods..not to mention high dollar optics makes shooting those targets @ 1200 yds a tad easier.....:cool:

Ed Labadie
07-30-2009, 11:15 AM
I was aware Shiraz was a shooter, not aware of his level of competition. :eek:

Congradulations to Shiraz and team USA, good job!

Ed

Ken Garlock
07-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Please explain just what is a single-shot, bolt-action 6.5-284 caliber rifle?

I understand the single shot, bolt-action part, but the not 6.5-284 part.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Ken,

The 1st number refers to bullet diameter and usually the last number refers to the case caliber.

For example, I hunt elk with a 338-06

That's a .338 diameter bullet and a 30-06 case. In this case, the neck of the case would be opened up to accept the .338 inch bullet.

The oldest reloading manuals I have are 15 or more years old and I can't find 6.5-284 however...normally it would mean a bullet diameter of 6.5mm and a 284 Winchester case.

I also hunt with a 7mm-06...also known as a 280 Remington
7mm diameter bullet.....30-06 case.

Ed Labadie
07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
A little info on the 6.5-284.
http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

Ed

Don Abele
07-30-2009, 5:39 PM
...not to diminish his accomplishments, as they are impressive, but we fired worn out M-16s out to 500 meters to qualify...so using custom rifles, and fancy tri/bi-pods..not to mention high dollar optics makes shooting those targets @ 1200 yds a tad easier.....:cool:

Butch, you are comparing apples to watermelons!

I fire thousands of rounds through my M4 each month and would consider myself an expert on it, including it's ballastics.

A 5.56 round has a max effective range of 500 meters - that's why we shoot that far. In that dstance the bullet drops about 8 feet.

At it's max range of 3600 meters, it has a bullet drop of over 40 feet!!!

Take windage into account at distances beyond 1000 meters and you can put a round in the next county without compensating.

And that's not mentioning the fact that in addition to distance and windage, at those distances you have to take temperature and humidity into account. The amount of sunlight/shadow the bullet will cross in it's trajectory. It's not quite as simple as you think.

I'll fire the 50 cal out to 2000 meters (just beyond it's max effective range of 1830 meters) no problem as I walk the rounds in, but I'd never consider me being anywhere close to qualified to fire rounds in excess of 1000 meters no matter the gun or optics. BTW, the 50 cal has a max range of 6812 meters - that's over 4 miles!!!

Be well,

Doc

John Shuk
07-30-2009, 8:49 PM
It seems that the guy puts alot into everything he does and it shows. Great luthier, great marksman, great businessman.
I'd love to meet the guy someday.

Paul Ryan
07-31-2009, 7:52 PM
That is very impressive. Shooting 1200 meters is one thing, being one of 24 master shooters in the US is another. Shooting that little bullet that range is also impressive. Wind effects smaller bullets more than the larger ones. I know people that shoot 45-70's at 1000 meters.

Butch Edwards
07-31-2009, 8:40 PM
Butch, you are comparing apples to watermelons!

I fire thousands of rounds through my M4 each month and would consider myself an expert on it, including it's ballastics.

A 5.56 round has a max effective range of 500 meters - that's why we shoot that far. In that dstance the bullet drops about 8 feet.

At it's max range of 3600 meters, it has a bullet drop of over 40 feet!!!

Take windage into account at distances beyond 1000 meters and you can put a round in the next county without compensating.

And that's not mentioning the fact that in addition to distance and windage, at those distances you have to take temperature and humidity into account. The amount of sunlight/shadow the bullet will cross in it's trajectory. It's not quite as simple as you think.

I'll fire the 50 cal out to 2000 meters (just beyond it's max effective range of 1830 meters) no problem as I walk the rounds in, but I'd never consider me being anywhere close to qualified to fire rounds in excess of 1000 meters no matter the gun or optics. BTW, the 50 cal has a max range of 6812 meters - that's over 4 miles!!!

Be well,

Doc

I understand your expertise, but you missed the point.... no M-16 I ever fired had a scope,no, it was open sights out to 500 yds, and the weapon had more rounds through it than any custom made target rifle, that affects accuracy. also, a 5.56 isn't in the same class as the custom, hand-loaded rounds he's firing, now is it? nope..... all I was sying is, that with top of the line gear, custom made and fine tuned, you SHOULD be able to shoot good.I realize that it's a matter of thousandths of inches that seperate those shooters at that distance, that's unbelievable enough.
BTW, I don't recall ever hold over the target 8', but that was 30+ years ago,too....;)

Steve Rozmiarek
07-31-2009, 11:44 PM
I understand your expertise, but you missed the point.... no M-16 I ever fired had a scope,no, it was open sights out to 500 yds, and the weapon had more rounds through it than any custom made target rifle, that affects accuracy. also, a 5.56 isn't in the same class as the custom, hand-loaded rounds he's firing, now is it? nope..... all I was sying is, that with top of the line gear, custom made and fine tuned, you SHOULD be able to shoot good.I realize that it's a matter of thousandths of inches that seperate those shooters at that distance, that's unbelievable enough.
BTW, I don't recall ever hold over the target 8', but that was 30+ years ago,too....;)

Butch, I think what Doc is refering to is total drop from the muzzle to get 8'. As the M-16 is usually zeroed for 200 yard IIRK, the hold over from that zero is not 8', but it probably is around 4'. Those are really rough estimates by the way. I loved shooting the M-16 so much I bought a couple AR-15's later on, which shoot a lot better:D.

Gene Howe
08-01-2009, 7:54 AM
Neat thread about a neat guy. And here, I've passed it over thinking it was about WINE!:o:o
Glad I finally read it. I'll be looking at Grizzly a little closer now.

Chris Barnett
08-09-2009, 1:30 AM
Glad this topic was posted. I did not know he had done so well at that competition. Am really amazed that he chose that caliber though, but will not argue the point with him.