PDA

View Full Version : Help in veneering a round platform with an edge

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2009, 1:58 PM
I have two 12" circles cut out of 1/2" thick lumber. I need to apply a maple veneer to the edge of each circle to match the rest of the fixtures. What's going to be my best and easiest way to do this without having to order more "stuff"?

Just so you will know, the tops and bottoms of these circles will also be veneered. So...my 2nd question is:

Should I veneer the edges first or the top/bottom of the platforms 1st and then edge band them?

Yes...this is my 1st real veneer job from scratch....so call me green-horn if you like. :)

David Christopher
07-29-2009, 2:07 PM
Dennis, Im no expert but have done a few veneer jobs.....I would put the edge on first so that the top and bottom will cover the raw side of the edge band......and I have used contact cement for small edge pieces because it was to hard to clamp.....hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and give more help

Thomas S Stockton
07-29-2009, 2:42 PM
Dennis
I've done stuff like this with titebond2 and an iron. I would put the banding on first then veneer the top and bottom.
Cut a strip of veneer a little over wide and about 2" to long
tape strip to a piece of scrap so it doesn't curl(I just tape the ends down) and apply the titebond.
Apply titebond to the edge of the table wait an hour for the glue to dry.
Take an iron set on high and starting at one end attach the edging, kinda like you would for iron on edge banding. I do a little section at a time and work my way around.
when you get to where the 2 pieces meet overlap them and cut both with a sharp chisel, you should have stopped ironing a couple of inches before the joint because you have to chisel the short section of lower veneer out.
finish ironing and you should be done.
it might take some practice to get the joint perfect but it will work.
The joe woodworker site probably has directions for this and they sell a special glue but titebond 2 works very well. The original titebond doesn't work nearly as well.
Tom

Mike Henderson
07-29-2009, 2:47 PM
I iron it on as Thomas described but I don't wait for the glue to dry - I use the heat from the iron to dry the glue.

Mike