PDA

View Full Version : Baby safe finish for walnut or cherry

Dan Mages
07-29-2009, 1:37 PM
As some of you have seen in my other recent thread, I am planning on building a cradle. I was wondering what finishes are safe for new borns to be exposed to. I would assume that low VOC finishes are preferable. I am thinking about making the cradle from walnut or cherry. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Stephen Musial
07-29-2009, 1:43 PM
Any finish (short of lead paint) is safe once cured. Shellac is "green" as it's made from bugs and is all natural - used to be used as a coating for candy and medicine. But you would also be safe using lacquer, poly, etc.

Todd Burch
07-29-2009, 2:45 PM
I think Cherry with a clear shellac would look best. Over time it will darken, whereas the walnut will lighten.

Todd

Lee Schierer
07-29-2009, 3:02 PM
As stated in other posts all finishes currently sold in the US are lead free and would be baby safe once cured. Lacquer and oil based poly outgas for a rather long time so if time is short, use a water based finish. Most oil based finishes and shellac will yellow with age. Many of the water based finishes do not. The wood, walnut, will get lighter in color over time and exposure to light. I have a name plate that my father made for me 30 years ago sitting on my desk that is a light tan color now that was made from black walnut and finished with lacquer.

Matt Meiser
07-29-2009, 3:50 PM
Plus for a cradle, they aren't going to be chewing on it like a crib rail. So the worst thing you would see would be from offgassing.

Stephen Musial
07-29-2009, 4:07 PM
Plus for a cradle, they aren't going to be chewing on it like a crib rail. So the worst thing you would see would be from offgassing.

Actually, with a baby, the best thing you see is offgassing - everything else that comes out of them is soooo much worse. :D