PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen These bench cookies?

Larry Browning
07-29-2009, 1:08 PM
I ran across these and thought WOW, why didn't I thing of that? If they work just half as well as they say they do I'd be happy. I am thinking I could make some of these from scrap and an old mouse pad.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21496

george wilson
07-29-2009, 1:14 PM
I wonder if they are tall enough to just flip over under sideways pressure,like when sanding? I have used the old,non skid router pads.

Lee Schierer
07-29-2009, 1:22 PM
It looks like a hockey puck only the cookies cost more.
http://www.49cent-puck.com/skin1/images/wholesale-ice-hockey-puck.jpg

Gary Muto
07-29-2009, 1:23 PM
I saw them at the store. I don't think they'll flip but it's just another gimmick to me. I don't need yet another solution to holding a board. Bench dogs and a vise or a router mat will work for me.

Jerome Hanby
07-29-2009, 1:44 PM
I saw them at the store. I don't think they'll flip but it's just another gimmick to me. I don't need yet another solution to holding a board. Bench dogs and a vise or a router mat will work for me.

Think the advantage over a router mat is that you get a little elevation. Could be handy when routing the edges...

Larry Browning
07-29-2009, 1:44 PM
It looks like a hockey puck only the cookies cost more.
http://www.49cent-puck.com/skin1/images/wholesale-ice-hockey-puck.jpg

Being from Arkansas, hockey pucks are pretty rare around here. How much does a hockey puck cost? Since you get 4 for $12 that would be 3 bucks a piece. Are hockey pucks cheaper than that?

Plus, I was thinking that I could take 4 pieces of scrap wood and then cut up a couple of old mouse pads I have lying around and poof instant bench cookies. Or maybe brownies if they ended up being square.

David Christopher
07-29-2009, 2:01 PM
Plus, I was thinking that I could take 4 pieces of scrap wood and then cut up a couple of old mouse pads I have lying around and poof instant bench cookies. Or maybe brownies if they ended up being square.[/QUOTE]

If you made it big enough it could be a bench cake

Chris Tsutsui
07-29-2009, 2:10 PM
I saw those bench cookies in the Rockler circular.

I have in front of me a rubberized foam keyboard wrist rest. I bet I could just cut this into squares and use them as bench cookies.

Or even cheaper... cut squares of wood out of scrap, then glue non-slip shelf liner materials to the top and bottom.

For anything not needing to be elevated off the table I would just use a non-slip shelf liner material.

Lee Schierer
07-29-2009, 2:12 PM
Being from Arkansas, hockey pucks are pretty rare around here. How much does a hockey puck cost? Since you get 4 for $12 that would be 3 bucks a piece. Are hockey pucks cheaper than that?

Plus, I was thinking that I could take 4 pieces of scrap wood and then cut up a couple of old mouse pads I have lying around and poof instant bench cookies. Or maybe brownies if they ended up being square.

Hockey pucks sell for about $2...unless you buy a lot then they are $0.99 each. Or you can go to a hockey game and get one for free if you are setting in the right place...

Jason Strauss
07-29-2009, 2:17 PM
Hockey pucks sell for about $2...unless you buy a lot then they are $0.99 each. Or you can go to a hockey game and get one for free if you are setting in the right place...

...or if you're sitting in the wrong place, the puck is free, but the dental bill will set you back a couple $G's!!

Brad Townsend
07-29-2009, 3:52 PM
Rockler comes up with some good original ideas...... and sometimes they come up with some real clunkers. I would put this one in the clunker category.:rolleyes:

Brent Smith
07-29-2009, 4:05 PM
I would put this one in the clunker category.:rolleyes:

May be.....but I ordered some yesterday. For $12 I can live with myself if they don't perform as advertised.

Larry Browning
07-29-2009, 4:53 PM
Rockler comes up with some good original ideas...... and sometimes they come up with some real clunkers. I would put this one in the clunker category.:rolleyes:

Just curious, why would you call this a clunker idea? If it works as they say it does, it would seem to me to be a brilliant idea. It got some great reviews from people who had actually used them.

Brad Townsend
07-29-2009, 5:44 PM
Just curious, why would you call this a clunker idea? If it works as they say it does, it would seem to me to be a brilliant idea. It got some great reviews from people who had actually used them.
I guess the reason I use that term is because I fail to see any circumstance in which I would use them. A friction mat would be much more stable. If I need to elevate the workpiece, four wood scraps under the friction mat would work fine, and I already have plenty of those. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of functional advantage in these things for $12 + shipping. Nothing against Rockler. I've been a good customer of theirs for years. Just my opinion.

However, as shown by this and other products, I will give Rockler credit for their willingness to put something out there and see if it floats to the top. Maybe there is something to these I'm missing, but I'm predicting they will be out of the catalog in six months. You can bookmark this thread and if I'm wrong, revive it in six months and beat me up with it.:D

whit richardson
07-29-2009, 5:55 PM
This is when we really miss Billy Mays. I can hear him now.. "The AMAZING Bench cookies! No they're not an Oreo! No they're not from the Internet! Your woodworking will be REVOLUTIONIZED when you use these AMAZING disks! Yes it the Bench cookies from <company name here>!"

The great thing is that you'd be sure to get another set still for only 19.99 PS&H.

;)

Steve Clardy
07-29-2009, 6:50 PM
They may be ok.......but......

I'd rather have a fresh pan of brownies :D

Mitchell Garnett
07-30-2009, 1:22 AM
By the time I got to AWFS on the Friday, they were sold out. Apparently the bench cookies were the hit of the show. I played with the demo set they had left and thought they held pretty well.

They do look like a hockey puck with a high friction mat (very much like an old sanding mat I have) glued to each flat surface. While $12 isn't that much money, I think I'd make my own.

My wife thinks they were popular because the name is "cute."

Joe Little
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
My secret is I have found that a yoga mat is perfect for all kinds of applications in the shop. My kids left one home after they left and I have cut it up to hold sanding projects, make cookie like discs and have used on push sticks. This stuff is great. For less than $20 you can get a mat that is over 5ft long and 25inches wide.

Larry Fox
07-30-2009, 11:21 AM
We have a lot of area rugs in our house and we bought a roll of non-skid webbing (for lack of a better word) and it works great. Doesn't give you any elevation though but I don't find that I need elevation much.