PDA

View Full Version : Bowls and BBQ's

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-04-2004, 9:25 AM
Well, I don't have any cool jigs, Saw Blades or Routers layin' around to donate to the cause at Terry's BBQ. But, I can turn a bowl or two, and share my work with others, so that is what I be doin'. :) I turned this Cherry Bowl yesterday, and I will be giving it to Terry at the BBQ. The Bowl is 2 1/2" x 9 1/2", with a couple of coats of Watco Oil on it so far. Me thinks that I will leave this one as is, without a buffing, mostly because I really like the silky smooth feel and the look of just an oil finished bowl. Ah..........'tis good to get back to turning.............I didn't forget everything I knew after all! Thanks for taking a look! ;)

Michael Stafford
09-04-2004, 9:29 AM
Gorgeous! I am a novice bowler but I sure do like to turn when I have time. Wood with character- I love it!

Jack Diemer
09-04-2004, 10:45 AM
How about a bowl turning lesson for all us novice turners??

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2004, 10:48 AM
How about a bowl turning lesson for all us novice turners??

Oh....not to worry Jack....We are going to be turning a bowl or two while at the BBQ.!!!! I still have to have a hands-on lesson with Kevin!!! :D

Jim Becker
09-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Will there be a raffle for non-attenders? Nice work!

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-04-2004, 12:07 PM
I am humbled by the comments guys.............I REALLY am. Gosh fellers, I am just a newbie turner myself, with about a year or so under my belt. I do know what works for me, so I guess I am doing something kinda right. Jack, I guess I will have to pack my turning gear and help a few folks out. Although there are MANY more accomplished turners for this task, I will be more than happy to share what I know. Dennis insists that we turn a bowl or two, so there will be some spinnin' going on! It will be fun, no matter the outcome of the bowls. Terry's shop is hexed with the exploding factor for turning, so we have that to overcome! :D

Doug Jones
09-04-2004, 1:48 PM
Kevin, your turnings are always amazing. Another fine piece.

Tyler Howell
09-04-2004, 2:05 PM
Awesome Kev,

Thanks from all us folks that can't be there.;)

Dick Parr
09-04-2004, 3:29 PM
It won't make a very good wash basin (with that hole in it) :p , but it is a very nice looking bowl anyways. Way to go Kevin. :)

Jack Diemer
09-04-2004, 7:03 PM
Kevin,

I have turned one pen in my life (last year Central States BBQ) and nothing else, so you have a year more experience than I do.

By the way, I sold the air cleaner today, so it won't be coming down with me.

Tony Falotico
09-04-2004, 7:11 PM
It won't make a very good wash basin (with that hole in it)

Dick, that's a dieter's bowl, limits the amount of soup you can have in one sitting.

Sorry Kevin, all kidding aside that's a beautiful piece of wood very skillfully turned.

Waymon Campbell
09-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Nicely done Kevin. LOML was looking over my shoulder and commented that it was a beautiful bowl and that I should start turning some bowls. 'Course, the only thing I have to turn on is a BBQ spit! :eek:

Sparky Paessler
09-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Great job Kevin. Don't you just love turning cherry! It is one of my favorite woods to turn. (Not that I have turned a lot of different kinds). Someone will be proud to go home with that one.

Terry Hatfield
09-05-2004, 9:31 AM
Yo Kevin,

COOL!!!!!!!

t

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks again everyone, the positive comments are much appreciated. I figured if a couple of Bowls are good for prizes, then maybe 3 would be even better! (Yeah, I am getting ready to spin another little prize...............the ladies will like this one!) I may post a picture of this one, or I may get an ornery streak and make ya'll wait 'till the BBQ to see it. :D

Gotta go...........the lathe is calling! ;)

Steve Clardy
09-05-2004, 8:27 PM
Don't worry about the hole too much. I'll tell Terry to cook the barbecue beans down kinda thick so whoever uses yer bowl will have time to eat them before they run out.:D

Steve