PDA

View Full Version : drawer slides in MDF

Navin Rao
07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Project: shop furniture to hold a lunchbox planer on top and drawers underneath; the unit will be on locking casters,

I have a lot of 3/4" MDF, so I'm just going to use that. Are there specific screws for the draw slides because it is MDF? Never done any work with MDF before, but assuming I will need to drill pilot holes.

Thanks for any suggestions ...

Prashun Patel
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Personally, I don't think the MDF will hold screws that well. But yes, when screwing MDF, you gotta drill pilots else you risk splitting and mushrooming.

That being said, my workbench top is mdf and I have a front vise mounted to it. I used through bolts with washers, though.

There are also many types of drawer slides/brackets. You might consider getting ones with a bracket that attaches to the back of the cabinet or ones where the sliding portion completely slides within the fixed portion. This way, you can glue a 1/8" cleat under the bracket or slide to assist in the load sharing. If using rearmount brackets, you can thru bolt them.

Or you can just take yr chance with the MDF unassisted. If it ever fails (which it may never) you can fix it then...

Craig Coney
07-29-2009, 1:41 PM
I would recommend the 5mm euro screws for the slides in MDF. You will need to pre-drill a 5mm hole for them. The slides should have pre-drilled holes for the system screws.

Chris Tsutsui
07-29-2009, 2:04 PM
I think factory laminated MDF is used all the time for cabinets.

One contractor I know swears by using coarse black drywall screws in MDF and I've followed that rule.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an inexpensive coarse black "phillips button head" drywall screw for mounting the slides. 1/2" long if going through 3/4" perhaps.

A fine thread screw would not be that strong.

Don Selke
07-29-2009, 3:29 PM
I would use 5mm euro screws as recommended above or drill holes for wooden plugs to accept the drawer slide screws. Make sure that you have a good dust mask and good dust collection for the MDF dust. MDF is good stuff but the dust from cutting or milling is a real killer.

Chris Friesen
07-30-2009, 1:03 PM
My drill press rolling cabinet is 3/4" MDF, with full extension slides. I didn't use anything special for screws, the ones that came with the slides work just fine.

Just make sure you predrill the proper size of pilot hole and don't over-torque the screw.

Jason Hanko
07-30-2009, 1:07 PM
My Mobile Planer stand (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115383) has the extension tables made from MDF which are joined to the table with hinges. I just used the screws that came with the hing...:eek:
I did take the time to drill pilot holes, and I put a bit of glue into the holes before the screws went in. Also I actually applied glue to the mating surfaces of the hing/MDF so its both glued and screwed on... Maybe overkill, but I was also a bit worried about the holding power of the screws in the MDF since they take all the weight of the extension wing when its in it's folded down position (which is most of the time).
Only been using it for about 3 months now, but nothings fallen off yet... <crosses fingers>.

Peter Quinn
07-30-2009, 8:07 PM
I think any course thread pan head #6 5/8" screw should do about as well as anything. They make special Hi-Lo screws for chip board but I don't know if these offer any advantage in MDF. Do be sure to pre-drill as if it were hardwood.

Brian Jarnell
07-30-2009, 10:09 PM
I like to use this to find centres,you can also get one with drill instead of punch.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32201&cat=1,43456

glenn bradley
07-30-2009, 10:13 PM
I have two shop cabinets made from MDF. Both have full extension 100# slides. Drawers are 1/2" BB ply. I used the supplied 1/2" x 6 PHWS supplied with the slides. No failures after 5 years of heavy use on the rolling worktable and a couple years on these:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=72307&d=1190341192

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=72306&d=1190341175

Brian Jarnell
07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
90% of kitchen carcases today are made of MDF and screws of all kinds are used with complete success.