PDA

View Full Version : Laminating MDF

Dustin Lorenz
07-29-2009, 8:31 AM
I have a pretty general question, my brother has a graphics business making apparel, banners, vinyl lettering. He asked me to make some work benches like I have in my shop, but I was able to get a collection of solid hardwood doors after cutting my MDF to size for all my tops and never ended up laminating any of them together. I was going to use contact cement to do so, and I have used it before so I am familiar with the process. I guess I am just curious if there is anything better out there.
Thanks in advance for any of your input

Joe Spear
07-29-2009, 8:44 AM
I laminated two 36" x 27" sheets of 1/2" MDF, sheet of 1/4" plywood, and formica top and bottom with contact cement for my router table top. Then I glued one-inch-thick purpleheart around the edges with Titebond. That has held together for three years.

You could do it with any regular wood glue, but then you would have to worry about clamping. I have seen pictures where people park their cars on a mdf or plywood sandwich to clamp it, but the contact cement should be adequate, especially if you glued a hardwood edge on it.

Spread the contact cement on both sheets, let it dry, and then give it a second coat before you put them together.

Dustin Lorenz
07-29-2009, 8:52 AM
Thanks Joe,
I think I will go with the contact cement, I never gave the clamping factor a thought with other types of glues. I also just flipped through an old issue of WOOD and found a bench top they trimmed with hardwood and left it just high enough to lay a piece of hard board in so you could replace it when need be. I think this will suit my brothers needs knowing he does a lot of cutting on his table tops.

Joe Spear
07-29-2009, 10:24 AM
The replaceable hardboard top is a very good idea.

Jim Solomon
07-29-2009, 9:30 PM
Thanks Joe,
I think I will go with the contact cement, I never gave the clamping factor a thought with other types of glues. I also just flipped through an old issue of WOOD and found a bench top they trimmed with hardwood and left it just high enough to lay a piece of hard board in so you could replace it when need be. I think this will suit my brothers needs knowing he does a lot of cutting on his table tops.

I made that workbench for in my garage. One side of the 1/4" tempered hardboard I attached 18 ga. sheet metal with contact cement. When I'm working on a tranny, or anything else with grease fluids it helps protect the top. When I fix something for the wife(household, etc.) I flip it over to the hardboard side. For your brothers use maybe cork would be a better top than the metal. After four years it is still holding up strong. I would do as Joe suggested. I think you'll be happy with that decision.
Jim

Paul Atkins
07-30-2009, 3:09 AM
I have laminated MDF using wood glue and screwing both pieces together all over - after the glue dried I removed the screws and put the holes face down.

Michael Schwartz
07-30-2009, 1:31 PM
If your laminating MDF to MDF yellow glue works just fine.

Contact cement if your going to laminate formica to the MDF.

Larry Fox
07-30-2009, 2:16 PM
I have laminated MDF using wood glue and screwing both pieces together all over - after the glue dried I removed the screws and put the holes face down.

+1 here for big pieces. These days if it is less an 4'x6' I use rigid veneer glue and my vac press - comes out great.

Brian Jarnell
07-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I do it all the time and use Tightbond 50.

glenn bradley
07-30-2009, 11:47 PM
I just used TBII. Four layers of 3/4" MDF, 30" x 89", no problems.

Will Blick
07-31-2009, 1:49 AM
The surface to surface area of a large face glue up is soooo great, you could use white elmers glue and not have a problem. In addition, no forces are being applied against the glue up when its dry and in use, so stress is a non issue.