PDA

View Full Version : Performax 16-32 Plus Drum Sander or Grizz G1079r

Ed Hazel
07-29-2009, 8:14 AM
I have been looking at the Grizz G1079r 16 inch dual drum sander but have not found much in the form of reviews for it. Now I have found a used Performax 16-32 Plus Drum Sander for sale locally looking for opinions which one would you prefer price not a concern.

If I had room I would be looking to buy the G9983 15 inch wide belt but that will have to wait for a larger shop.

Joe Von Kaenel
07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Ed,

Grizzly makes fine tools as does WHM tool group that make Jet & Performax. I have a Jet 16-32Plus and really like the machine. Well built and I am able to sand panels up to 32" wide. A trick I read about and use is to elevate the open end of drum just 1/32 inch more than the fixed end, you can sand panels easily.

My friend has the Grizzly 24" dual drum sander. His complaint is that the 1/4 drive motor is too small and wood gets stuck or trips the machines breaker and he has to wait a few minutes to be able to reset machine.

With either the key is to remove only a little wood with each pass. Hope this helps
Joe

george wilson
07-29-2009, 1:18 PM
I like my Delta open side 18" sander. As you say,you can adjust the conveyor belt platen so the sanding peters out to nothing when doing large panels.

I haven't tried wide panels yet,and wonder about their weight,though. Would they distort anything on the sander while going through? I usually make guitars or other relatively small stuff.