PDA

View Full Version : Roofing nailer advice

Ed Barnes
07-28-2009, 8:44 PM
Thanks to a recent hail storm I have 3 asphalt shingle roofs to replace (all mine). I am thinking of picking up a reconditioned Bostitch RN46 to help speed up the job. At my age :eek:, I don't want to go into the roofing business full time, but want to do the job myself. I am looking for your opinions on this nailer. Is this a good choice? Pros/Cons?

Thanks for you input,
Ed

Larry Edgerton
07-28-2009, 8:57 PM
I tried a Bostitch, not sure of the model, but it broke twice, and that is all the chances I give. I have a few Paslode coil nailers, and other than when they have taken trips off of the roof they just keep working.

One thing that will help you is a Flexeel [TM] lead in hose, that last hose to the gun. They are so light it makes the work quite a bit easier. Avoid some of the lookalikes, all I have seen are junk.

Frank Hagan
07-28-2009, 9:11 PM
I bought an el-cheapo roofing nailer from Harbor Freight and its worked very well for me. I've done about what would equal one of your roofs (an 8 x 12 shed and then 1/3 of our desert cabin). I've dropped it twice, and it still works (although I did have to replace the air fitting the second time I dropped it.)

Andrew Hughes
07-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Bostitch nailers are okay if you get nail that feed okay.Some coil nailers we used to have on jobs were finicky with generic nail.Senco and makita coil nailer seemed to be the best.If you do get it try to use the bostitch nails.Hope this helps

Denny Rice
07-29-2009, 3:37 AM
Two years ago I had to replace my roof, and I figured I should not have to replace it for another 20 years so I didn't want to drop a lot of cash on a roofing nailer, but I purchased one anyway. I purchased a Stanley (SRN175) roofing gun, I bought it on ebay new for around 80.00. Worked great, haven't used it since though. Hope this helps.

Alex Shanku
07-29-2009, 7:55 AM
I was a full time roofer for a few years in my early 20's. I owned the bostich, hitachi and the makita.....The hitachi and makita were much lighter than the bostich, but all three were workhorses and will get the job done just fine IMO.

Greg Cole
07-29-2009, 9:03 AM
+1 for Hitachi here.

Paul Ryan
07-29-2009, 9:27 AM
Around here bostich is all any one uses. They, as said earlier, are a little heavier but they last longer and are the defacto standard by which all others are measured. If it is a good price I would buy one in a heart beat.

Dave Bureau
07-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I have 20 -30 nail guns. i've tried them all. Hitachi is all i buy now. Bostitch are heavy but work.

Ed Barnes
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Dave, is the Hitachi picky about the brand of nails that is used in it?

Ed

Bob Genovesi
07-29-2009, 2:17 PM
Around here bostich is all any one uses. They, as said earlier, are a little heavier but they last longer and are the defacto standard by which all others are measured. If it is a good price I would buy one in a heart beat.

Another vote for Bostitch here. I use mine with generic nails I get from a local supplier and it just keeps on ticking....... or nailing..;)

mil ford
07-29-2009, 3:08 PM
I second the Harbor Freight gun. I used it to reroof a house and a shed and I can't imagine was a more expensive gun could do better. I have dropped it from the roof to the ground a few times and it works just fine. It also shoots Home Depot nails.

Michael Wetzel
07-29-2009, 3:51 PM
+1 for Hitachi here.

+2 - I like my Hitachi roofing nailer. I use it to install tyvek too. The heck with staples.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-29-2009, 4:15 PM
Something wrong with regular roofing nails? Cheap easy and as you said you aren't going to be earning a living at it.

Whatever you do don't use staples unless someone has produced a flat topped staple. The round ones I've seen end up cutting through the shingles on top of them

Greg Cole
07-29-2009, 4:43 PM
Dave, is the Hitachi picky about the brand of nails that is used in it?

Ed

Not Dave, but I've done 3 roofs with mine @ 55 squares total. Only jams I've ever had was the last nail & that's happened 2-3 times. Oil the feeder and nose mechanism daily not just the pneumatic piston and grip it n rip it.:D

Michael Wetzel
07-29-2009, 5:24 PM
Roofing staples are junk and aren't compliant to shingle warranties. As far as using a roofing nailer, the last big roof I did was a 35 square hip roof. We hand nailed the tarpaper and 40year dimension shingles because the guy I was working with hates roofing nailers. Was a lot of hammering for 2 people over the 4 days we worked on it.

Larry Edgerton
07-29-2009, 8:37 PM
Roofing staples are junk and aren't compliant to shingle warranties. As far as using a roofing nailer, the last big roof I did was a 35 square hip roof. We hand nailed the tarpaper and 40year dimension shingles because the guy I was working with hates roofing nailers. Was a lot of hammering for 2 people over the 4 days we worked on it.

I used to just use a hatchet as I was faster with hand nails. I would average about 15 sq. a day, with no hoses in my way. I cut my left index finger off and screwed that up, can't flip the nails any more so I use guns now, and I still can't get 15 sq. a day. I do think you get a better roof with a hatchet, but not enough to make that much difference.

I have known guys that could do almost 30 a day with a hatchet alone. One older fellow had an unique setup. He had a three legged stool that he strapped to his backside, and the bottom two legs were interchangeable so he could screw in the length that matched the pitch. He never stood up, just scootched along on his stool. I tried it and it didn't work for me but this old guy made it look easy. He was in his fiftys and I in my twentys and he was out shingling me.

Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm almost every time.....

Ed Barnes
07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, Larry, I have the old age part down. I may have to work on the treachery though. :eek: