PDA

View Full Version : Project pics

John Murphy
03-22-2003, 9:00 PM
Finally finished this sucker! Only took me 3 months! Made from Eastern Red Cedar, except for the white oak hanger thingys. I didn't think cedar would handle the stress. Finished with minwax spar poly. I'm open for any and all comments, good and bad!

By the way, this is spring break week!!! Yes teachers do get just as excited as students!

Also, this is my first picture post. Hope it works.

Later,
Murph
SW Arkansas

Jim Young
03-22-2003, 9:12 PM
It didn't.

John Murphy
03-22-2003, 9:18 PM
I'm trying to attach the file. We'll see!

Bob Lasley
03-22-2003, 9:44 PM
Hey Murph,

That's a snazzy looking glider. Is it going to sit on a porch or out in the elements?

Nice job,
Bob

Jim Young
03-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Looks nice John. My wife's been wanting one of those for the deck.

John Miliunas
03-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Very nice, John! That'll be a beautiful addition to your outdoor area. Heck, it's nice enough to sit *inside*! :cool:

David Rose
03-23-2003, 1:17 AM
Nice job!

David

Dick Parr
03-23-2003, 7:21 AM
Vert Nice John!

John Murphy
03-23-2003, 8:34 AM
Appreciate all the nice replies. You all are too kind! Yes, it is going to sit on a covered deck. Now I've got an order for 2 adirondack chairs. First, though, the wife has got me lined up to paint the trim on the house. Boy, I do hate to paint. You all ever notice how paint has the word "pain" in it?

Have a good one!

Murph

Bobby Hatfield
03-23-2003, 9:34 AM
John that sure looks inviting for just sittin and watchin the world go by sippin a tall glass of iced tea. Really nice, will the chairs be the same narrow strip style ?

Ted Shrader
03-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Yo Murph -

Nice job, buddy. That looks great! I especially like your highly technical term (and very descriptive) for the white oak hanger thingies! :D

Well done!

Ted

Tom Sweeney
03-23-2003, 10:20 AM
That sure looks like it will get a lot of good use.

Nice style & design - I'll have to remember it for a roundtoit project.

Joe Tonich
03-23-2003, 10:29 AM
You guys posting these nice projects are going to get me in TROUBLE!!!:D LOML is gonna see them one day and start asking questions!!

Nice job, John!

Joe

Ron McNeil
03-23-2003, 10:45 AM
John, Great job! It sure looks good. I'm sure the wife is happy. :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-23-2003, 11:56 AM
That's a real good looking Setee`
Nice style and very nice execution.
:cool:

Jim Baker
03-23-2003, 4:18 PM
That's as nice a glider as I have seen, John.

As for the paint/pain thing, I've never thought of it that way, but it sure is fitting, especially when it is associated with trim.

John Miliunas
03-23-2003, 6:19 PM
Originally posted by Jim Baker
That's as nice a glider as I have seen, John.

As for the paint/pain thing, I've never thought of it that way, but it sure is fitting, especially when it is associated with trim.

Ditto on the paint being a "pain". On the bright side, you've now got something nice to sit on and watch the paint dry. :D :D :cool:

Von Bickley
03-23-2003, 6:23 PM
The glider looks great. Thanks for letting us have a look.

John Murphy
03-23-2003, 11:23 PM
You all are too kind! I started painting today. Fun, fun. I've got a CH HVLP sprayer that helps a lot. It even did okay with the latex today. Surprised me!

Tool Gloat!!!!! Bought a Troy Bilt pressure washer to prep for the paint! 5hp Honda engine, & 2450 psi, gpm, or whatever that other number is!!! Sucker will take the paint off your vehicle if you're not careful! (okay, I'm exaggerating a little)

Later,
Murph

John Schreiber
03-24-2003, 12:24 AM
The glider looks great. I've had something like that on my future TO DO list for a while. (Actually, I have to build the porch first, (actually, I have to earn the money to build the porch first)) Two questions.

First, what kind of bearings did you use and how do you mix metal and wood to handle the off-center stresses?

Second, how did you figure the swing geometry? I know it's much nicer to sit in a swing that is hanging from ten feet than one which is hanging from five feet because the length of time for each swing is longer. Since the glider is hanging in two places from about 12 inches, how do you go about fooling it into thinking it's hanging from 10 or even 15 feet?

Curiously :confused: John