PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic School Planer @ Auction

David Schmaus
07-28-2009, 6:49 PM
Hey, I browse Auctionzip every now and then and ran across this school that is about a mile away and the Auction that is this Friday. There is a Powermatic 20" Planer and I am wondering if I should go check it out. I have been looking to upgrade the lunchbox. Can anyone tell me something about this by the picture? I am going to start googling now but thought someone here might have some insight...

Thank you...

David Christopher
07-28-2009, 6:59 PM
David, I cant tell by looking at the picture but I would bet it is 3 phase. I do know those were very heavy duty planers and would last a lifetime

Paul Greathouse
07-28-2009, 7:06 PM
The old Powermatics are great machines but most of them are 3 phase. If you don't already have 3 phase service, its next to impossible to get it installed in some areas and phase converters can be expensive.

I've got an 18" Powermatic very similar to the one in you picture that my dad bought at auction. He didn't know what it would take to run a 3 phase machine when he bought it so its still sitting in my shop. After checking into the cost of a phase converter and not knowing the condition of the PM, I bought a new 20" Grizzly with the spiral head. It does everything I ask of it and there's no knives to set.

When I get around to it, the 18" Powermatic will go up for sell but it will definately be a local pickup, I wouldn't want to try to ship something that big.

Matt Meiser
07-28-2009, 7:53 PM
Also, make sure it doesn't have the "Quiet Head." Apparently the cost of replacement knives exceeds the cost of replacing the head with a conventional one, which isn't cheap.

george wilson
07-28-2009, 7:59 PM
That is the same model we had at work. Ours was 5 h.p. 3 phase. Could be more h.p. if I recall correctly.

Peter Quinn
07-28-2009, 8:21 PM
We have the 18" version with "the quiet head" logo, but it has been replaced with a terminus head, at work. It is a powerful and capable planer. You can adjust the bed rollers on the fly to go from a rough hogging cut to a fine finish cut. That's a feature you won't find on ANY chiwanese small shop units. It has a steel out feed roller, heavy duty pressure bar and chip breakers. Real industrial machinery. It is a large heavy beast, and it is 3PHS power as most were. I'd go take a look at it just for fun in any event. Take a look at phase conversion first, it can run $1500-$2500 to run a unit like that, and you will need 40-60A single phase available to push it, so keep that in mind.

It may not be the most practical solution in a non industrial situation given its size and power requirements, but that is obviously for you to decide.

David Schmaus
07-28-2009, 8:44 PM
No way its single phase?

Simon Dupay
07-28-2009, 9:16 PM
You might be able to replace the motor with a single phase motor too. it's $15-20,000 planer new so keep that in mind when comparing it to a new planer.

Alex Shanku
07-29-2009, 8:12 AM
Well....

First off, its a model 220. Very nice planer.

It appears from the picture that the motor is missing. Maybe its the angle.

Have you restored any OWWM before? No doubt this planer is a much better unit than any lunchbox, but planers are the most complex pieces of old machinery (besides moulders) especially planers in this size range (this model also has a sectional infeed roller.....many parts to clean.)

Consider also moving this machine.... I would guess that machines weighs 1200-1500lbs.

Phase conversion a a very small obstacle to overcome. A very, very small issue if you plan on running large machinery, like this.

You may very well be able to use a 5hp motor on this planer...its big brother the PM 221 came with 5, 7.5 and 10hp offerings.

Anyway, the only 220 I have seen had a 3ph 10hp motor powering it.